BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

LINUX: ArchiCAD 13 in Virtualization

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

I have some updated info (though no hard stats yet)
Installed various distros of linux-based OS's and ran VMWare's Virtualization to check out ArchiCAD 13's performance VMWare has implemented cutting edge 3D ability...).

So far, looks tolerable.
It works just fine, and real-world performance is passable.
I have a few different systems and will give some basic rundowns.

VMware: Workstation 6.5.9+ and players 2.5.+
AC version: 13

Hardware 1:laptop
C2D T7400
4gb ddr2-800
Gf 7950 GTX 512mb ddr2
1920x1200 LCD (takes a faster video to run a higher res screen)
HD 7200rpm SATA-3

Looks good, 3d is totally acceptable, though it's a bit like using a Gf7600-7800 at best (drop in FPS about 40-45%). Turn on opaque surfaces (windows and doors can't be seen through) and this rings the FPS up about 20%... AVOID realistic or bmp/jpg backgrounds- this will cut the FPS way way down. So far nothing else is important for good 3D.

Hardware 2:desktop
Quad-Core 9550
8gb ddr
7200 rpm SATA-3
Gf8800gtx 786mb

Looks great, unless I'm working in MEP with 3d and big skyscrapers with a lot of non-opaque glass. Again, remove backgrounds (solid color is best) and keep the detail architecture light (sinks, pipes- hide those layers!!!)... Totally passable for work!

So for those of you with IntelMac's or such running Wine or Linux distros who want to switch more and more away from windows systems, we're ALMOST there. AC is very gear friendly in 3D and VMware (the best virtualization in my book, and I use or have used all of them) is right on the edge of crossing the gap for 3D stuff. I recommend DL the VMware workstation or player (I think they do demos) and try your ArchiCAD out in Linux!

It's not fast enough for me to switch over full-time, but with a fast machine, the excuses are becoming more scarce to keep using a windows machine!

Also not tried this with Crossover Pro.

I'll try it out sometime in the other distros I have
(Mandriva, OpenSUSE, CrunchBang, Mint and Debian)

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Graphic card need bigger memory.
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi JP, do you have any experiences with ArchiCAD under Wine?

thank you a lot

peter
Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD working with Wine only in 6,5 - 7.0 versions.
Learn and get certified!