BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer extension

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I know it may sound like a silly question, but what is the goal of the layer "extension"?
25 REPLIES 25
Eduardo Rolon
to group layers in order to filter by extension.

Examples: demo, existing, main, etc.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, but do people really use it?
Eduardo Rolon
Depends on the project.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
I'd say absolutely. Using extensions gives you added filtering capabilities which is very important when setting up layer combinations.

You can use them sort by interior, exterior and site modeling elements, by type of drawing to be produced for annotation layers...
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again.

I'll try and play with it to understand it better.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
I'd say absolutely. Using extensions gives you added filtering capabilities which is very important when setting up layer combinations.

You can use them sort by interior, exterior and site modeling elements, by type of drawing to be produced for annotation layers...
Same here. Could not live without them. Well, could actually, but would be a more miserable life.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
It might be worth expanding on the methods available to 'sort' them as it isn't immediately obvious. You have the option to sort them alphabetically into groups of the same extension by clicking the word 'Extension' at the top of the layer list. In fact, you can order any of the columns in the Layer Settings dialog using this method and is very useful for adjusting more than one related layer at once.

You can further simplify the number of layers visible so that only one type of extension is displayed in the layer list. Do this by selecting one of the layers with an extension, then clicking the 'filter by extension' button and all other layers are temporarily hidden. Select 'Show all layers' to display them again.

As you can see from the image, I don't really use them to any extent, but this thread has prompted me to re-investigate them again!
layer_sort1.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I've included layer extensions to every layer in our company template.

My take is that extensions should not necessarily replace good layer naming & categorization conventions, but assist in filtering information in other ways.

For example we have extensions such as .M for (3D) model info, .A for (2D) annotation, etc. These can assist us filter information for calculation and schedules.

Our .L layers are for layout book specific layers - yes we have those too. And our .R layers are strictly for reference only and never get published in any format.

The best part about layer extensions for me is that it is generally VERY easy to see when rogue layers are introduced into a project.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Link

Can you expand on how you use layers in Layouts, as they are not saved like a View with a layer combination. How do you know what you're going to get and that you have the correct layers on?

And, do you have a layer extension for ALL layers? (Edit: re-read, I see you do)

I'm in the process of refining our office template (aren't we always?), and am considering a new approach to cover the differences needed for alteration work and new build. As you can see on the attached image, I have layers with EXTG or DEMO extensions, which, for new build work are not needed. These are preceded with a Z in their name to send them to the bottom of the layer list. If the job requires them, just delete the Z- from the beginning and they move to the appropriate order in the layer list, and co-ordinate with existing / proposed views. Does this seem feasible? Changing layer names is o.k. but changing layer combination names makes them "missing" in saved views (at least in AC11).

Feedback welcome.
Picture 2.png
Learn and get certified!