Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Layer sorting by "Name" in AC 26

Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi there.

it seems the sorting of Layer Names in AC 26 is a little different than in previous versions (besides handling attributes in folders etc.)

The way AC sorts layers, seems to have changed.

Previously you could use multiple digits, to create "subcategories" after a Main layer e.g A21---- and then sublayer A214--- Etc.

Since AC 26 Layers are sorted as "real numbers" (I guess) meaning 3-digigt numbers will  always be higher than 2-digit numbers thus A214--- will be placed below at the bottom of the list, instead of "just" under A21---- Please see attaced picture for reference:

(This almost a National standard regarding Layers and their names)

ThomasNymann_1-1678446317496.png

Is this an intended change/feature, or an unlucky consequence of the new Attribute System?

Below is a simple screenshot showing the differences from AC 25 to AC 26

ThomasNymann_2-1678446483589.png

Kind regards

Thomas

ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Oleksandra Vakariuk
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi all,

This has been intentionally fixed in Archicad 26. Both folders and attributes (including layers) use natural sorting now.

Kind Regards,

Oleksandra Vakariuk

Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend

For me the sorting in AC25 is correct. In AC26 it is broken.

I am seeing the same behaviour in AC26 5002 UKI FULL - Update 3 Preview.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi DG, That´s  how some users in DK feel as well.

ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +

Sorry, what? 😳 No no no noooo!

I have to say: Finally GS got something right! The sorting was always ridiculous wrong for all those years. Now it has been fixed – and you guys complain? Oh come on....

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

You will need to explain that? 🤔

The layer name is an Alpha-Numeric name value and it doesn't have to contain numbers, so it should be sorted on character value, not a sub determination of a numeric value that may or may not be intended.

I hadn't noticed this until now because my displayed numeric values are all of equal length e.g. A-1200 Name 1, A-1210 Name 2 etc and that applies to all sorts of places including Layout numbers to ensure the organising / sorting is consistent.  

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi Runxel.

Please see the initial question, not a complaint, but a question whether this intentionally? 🙂

AC 13 +

Hey Thomas, I do think that this is intentional!

I've nagged my local support for years because it was so irritating. No other app I know of sorted it "wrong". My point is that how it is done now seems more natural to me.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Hi Runxel.

I do agree, this seems like a natural way of sorting.  However many users have adopted "the old way" which actually fitted the way we would intepret a defacto national layer structure.

Now, I just need GS to say that it is intentionally 🙂

Cheers.

AC 13 +
Solution
Oleksandra Vakariuk
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi all,

This has been intentionally fixed in Archicad 26. Both folders and attributes (including layers) use natural sorting now.

Kind Regards,

Oleksandra Vakariuk

Technical Support Engineer
kristoftihanyi
Contributor

Is there a way to revert this according to personal preference? A simple check box would be  useful in the Legacy Settings menu. I'm using a Uniformat based layer structure and it is completely jumbled.