Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer translator between different offices standards

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello. My office is working together with another office on a large project, divided into smaller parts by entrances. We have every other entrance to draw as a separate building but together they make up the block. We share our files as .mod-files to be able to do sections through the whole block, renderings etc., but then work separately on the individual buildings.

The issue arises because this other office uses another template, and other standards for layers than we do, so when we merge the different modules we end up with long layer lists, with similar but not identical layer names.

Is there a way to automatically funnel their files into our template structure? Similar to a translator-file for DWG? To specify like these three of their layers goes into this layer we use. Objects in their layer there goes to our layer here.

We could do it manually by deleting layers and replacing, but then what happens when they send an updated file a few hours later.

Basically, an automatic scripted delete and replace, IF this layer in the original file THEN this layer in the new file.

Have anyone run across something like this, or have a good method for solving these situations?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't think a solution to automatically merge layers will be possible.

A quick thing you could do to filter things is us a layer extension and sort this to the bottom of the list. You will still have a lot of layers, but the other office their layers should be out of your way.

You could maybe with a clever combination of 'by name' and 'by index' replacing of layers in attribute manager get to some sort of automatic solution, but you would still need the same amount of layers.

I would try to match up their layer to your layers by index. For example let's say you have a layer called 'walls' with index 20, look for something similar in their file and get their layer name to go to index 20. After this you can just merge your template on top of their file and replace the names.

You would be having a few PLN files to be used with loading in the modules and replacing attributes after you are done and saving a new module from this file.

Personally I'd load their modules in a new emtpy file setup the way I like add the extension and call it done.

I'd also have a seperate file for the combined work, to keep my own files tidy.

Maybe sharing PMK files of the finished plans is a cleaner solution. Just stitch those together on layout?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
PVBergkrantz
Expert
I see, thanks for your advice anyway. Hopefully it might be something implemented in the future, seeing as the ideas already exists for exports to DWG.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Anonymous
Not applicable
I came across a similar issue the other day and I was also wondering why there isn't an option to translate layers when linking the .mod file.

I guess the .mod files were intended to be used internally, so there should be (in most cases) no need to translate layers within the same company. For the external exchange there are .ifc-files, which have their own translator setup, with the possibility to translate layers similarly like in the .dwg translator.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This could be handled by a Dedicated Shared Resource File already proposed in the wishlist.
Both offices could share the same centralized standards for the project. The management of this file could be attributed to a Project Manager.
If you think its worth, you can always vote.