Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Layers, layers, layers...managing, layer pallete?

Gravis3D
Contributor

Hello Guys, I recently started to work in Archicad for my new employer. Worked in Vectorworks, Bricscad, Revit, Blender etc. before. I tried Archicad back in the school days, like 10 years ago and my biggest issue was the lack of pallete with layers and layers management...sadly, it is still very cumbersome.

Am I the only one, who would like to have layers opened all the time in the pallete (same as navigator etc.)?

Why there has to be dialog to pop-up, change something in layers or layer state and confirm. Just let that dialog be opened on second monitor maybe or add as pallete to be openened like navigator pleeeease...

Is there any relevant reason why it is not possible?

Another thing which is really annoying is the layers "connections" numbers. Logical would be to select multiple layer states and change the layer number for all of them at once, not change the number for specific layer for every layer states saved.

I make new layer, name it. Then close the layers dialog and have to go to attribute manager to change the layers number for 20 layer states (or chang the number 20 times in layers dialog...OMG)

I know it can be done in atribute manager this.So why the hell it is not possible in the layers dialog which in my opinions should do these essential editing to speed up  proccess. 

Do not get me wrong, I can deal with this, but I simply dont get it. Why it could not be easier to deal with something so important like layers. Managing layers and turning them ON/OFF is so essential and so common task, that I feel it is the one of the most slow-down in whole Archicad workflow.

Archicad is really great and have very strong sides in my opinion. But this essential things with layers is getting me frustrated all the time.

Hope for the better future in this part - then Archicad would be TOP BIM solution...

Or do I miss something in the workflow...Would like to know from the "Archicad PRO guys" 😉

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Hey, I also noted that I can live with that workflow, what is now. But why layers cannot have pallet as optional, that is what I cannot understand. You have to admit that it is always better to have a choice 😉

Lol just let go and you will see the light

Aimad Eddine
Contributor

Hello Gravis3D

I get what you're saying, I had this struggle me too.

Erwin Edel gave you (us) a really good help with the template files. Great explanations.

I would like to add this: 

You can create Favorites elements, it stores the Layer for each favorites you save so you don't have to change every time.image.png

Aimad Eddine BOUZIANE
Architect
BIM enthusiast

Setup: Dell G5 15, i7 10750H, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Max Q, Windows 10