BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Letter to Cadimage

gpowless
Advocate
info@cadimagegroup.com

Hi,

I will not be upgrading Cadimage products. Instead I will be using Archicad native tools to model with.

In short, I find the upgrade price exorbitant and have found the past upgrades cumbersome to integrate into past projects. As Archicad has come a long way in improving their windows and doors, I no longer have a need for third party tools.

Thanks for your help in the past and good luck.

Gregg Powless
Ontario BCIN Designer
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
31 REPLIES 31
KeesW
Advocate
You'll have trouble opening existing projects created with Cadimage tools.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
gpowless
Advocate
Only if I try to update them.

I have Archicad back to Ver. 6 and Door and Window Builder back as far as it goes so I don't think I'll have a problem.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
KeesW
Advocate
What I meant was that you won't be able to properly open older projects containing Cadimage objects with AC16 without Cadimage objects. There will be lots of dots indicating missing components such as doors and windows. That has been my experience anyway.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
gpowless
Advocate
I understood that but in the end for a 4000 sq ft home if would take under an hour to replace all the windows and doors in the house with my standard windows and doors. That is less than an upgrade for the 1 or two times I might use it.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
gpowless
Advocate
Oh and don't forget... updating old plans to use in current versions is borne by the client as billable hours. Cadimage isn't that valuable any more.

My Chief compliant as with many third party tools is that in an effort to become more detailed they have complicated the interface so much that it takes as much time to modify my favorited doors and windows as it does to create new ones. I am tired of having to open the tool to change the label settings and the appearance which always default to an insulation with a thick purple pen with purple backgrounds. As well from version to version the default colours have changed which requires me to update old Cadimage parts anyway. It just isn't worth my time to fix a tool every time I want to use it.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
Jere
Expert
Why not write the letter to CADImage privately rather than posting it publicly on a Graphisoft forum? Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Karl Ottenstein
Jere wrote:
Why not write the letter to CADImage privately rather than posting it publicly on a Graphisoft forum? Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
I suspect he was trying to get a feel for how many other people feel that Cadimage's upgrade pricing (for no announced new features - only re-compiled with the new SDK) - is on the high side.

I'm surprised no other people have chimed in. I also find the pricing obscene. Having just upgraded their D/W product just a couple of months ago, they now want more than another $100 just to give me the ability to use it with 16. I reported several bugs and missing features, none of which seem to have been fixed. For people who have bought into the Cadimage ecosystem, the total annual update price over all their products just makes no sense for a one or two person firm.

Encina generously provides updates to Objective for no charge; Cigraph provides update to its entire suite (all 18 add-ons) for just 160 euro.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a couple of C.I.'s tools, and I think they work well for the most part.
They have also been very responsive when I've called, and they have actually called me back and set up web screen share for a tool-issue resolution session at no cost to me.
However, the only reason I've not bought more of their tools, as I would like to get two more of them, is the cost of upgrading any more at their current upgrade pricing rates.
I'm afraid of getting an upgrade bill for more than I can afford in lean times, as I'm committed (at least for now) at staying current each year with AC.
lec
David Collins
Advocate
gpowless wrote:
My Chief compliant as with many third party tools is that in an effort to become more detailed they have complicated the interface so much...
This is an old story for me. I made a declaration of independence from third-parties years ago partly because of the cost and delays with each upgrade, but also because archived projects were being compromised. One nice thing about custom library objects is that they never suffer from parametric bloat, of which you so rightly complain.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Learn and get certified!