Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Loading AC Library on the Local Computer vs. Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Is it possible to have archicad load (delivered library) AC Library from the local computer and the office standards libraries from the server? This will help loading time of AC.
Thanks,
Joseph
13 REPLIES 13
TomWaltz
Participant
Not only possible, but advisable.

I think that's what most people do.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, that's the way we have it here.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A typical scenario:

ArchiCAD Library: Local

Office Library: Server

Project Library: Server

This is usually because the ArchiCAD Library is so big and usually remains unaltered and the other librtaries are smaller so loading over a network does not take that long. It's also becoming popular to sync to local machines via external software like Allway Sync, especially if the libraries are getting larger.

The most important thing is to keep the paths the same on each computer (at least for PC - not sure how different Mac HD names affect library loading in AC10). If ArchiCAD finds the same path on any machine, you won't have to manually locate them.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
The most important thing is to keep the paths the same on each computer (at least for PC - not sure how different Mac HD names affect library loading in AC10). If ArchiCAD finds the same path on any machine, you won't have to manually locate them.
Cheers,
Link.

Yes,
This is where my problem is, the path. Every time I open a project on a different computer I have to set the Local path. Any Mac users have a suggestions.
Thanks,,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
Joseph wrote:
Any Mac users have a suggestions.
ensure all of your machine hark disks are called the same name (this doesn't affect their "sharing" network name: System Preferences>Sharing), just the hard disk name - usually it's called "Macintosh HD" by default: don't change it.

and if you don't want to do that you'll just have to load them all from the server!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
~/archiben wrote:
Joseph wrote:
ensure all of your machine hark disks are called the same name (this doesn't affect their "sharing" network name: System Preferences>Sharing), just the hard disk name - usually it's called "Macintosh HD" by default: don't change it.

and if you don't want to do that you'll just have to load them all from the server!

~/archiben
So it hasn't changed in ArchiCAD at all then?

I thought maybe GS would imoplement some kind of relative path like in the Drawing tool to help with that. Oh well...

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
I thought maybe GS would imoplement some kind of relative path like in the Drawing tool to help with that. Oh well...
that would be nice. i must admit i haven't tested out AC10 in a network environment thoroughly. tom might know more . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Joseph wrote:

~/archiben

Thanks,
Hard to belive, I will try that. Is there a way of telling that if the one loaded is on the intended computer?
Thanks again,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
Joseph wrote:
Is there a way of telling that if the one loaded is on the intended computer?
look at the file path in your library manager . . .

~/archiben
libManFilePaths.jpg
b e n f r o s t