Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Loading AC Library on the Local Computer vs. Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Is it possible to have archicad load (delivered library) AC Library from the local computer and the office standards libraries from the server? This will help loading time of AC.
Thanks,
Joseph
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben,
If my server is one of my workstations (do not have a dedicated server yet) would that change anything?
Thanks,
Joseph
__archiben
Booster
Joseph wrote:
Thanks Ben,
If my server is one of my workstations (do not have a dedicated server yet) would that change anything?
no - provided all files are looking to that volume for their libraries . . .

have you tried 'sharepoints'? it's a small shareware application that taps into OSX's hidden file sharing features and lets you use a normal OSX system/workstation as a file server . . .

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Joseph wrote:
Thanks Ben,

no - provided all files are looking to that volume for their libraries . . .

have you tried 'sharepoints'? it's a small shareware application that taps into OSX's hidden file sharing features and lets you use a normal OSX system/workstation as a file server . . .

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

~/archiben

Hi Again,

I do not want to pull my hair out since not much is left! But it still does not work, this is my setup:

I have a MacBook & PPC G5, the PPC G5 has my office library & the project specific library on it. Both hard dives are named Mac HD (and made sure I rename the root project folders of my projects and libraries different on the MacBook than the PPC G5)

Now when I load the project on the MB, the AC Library loads fine but library manager pops up asking for office library & the project specific library which I point to the network drive (PPC G5) and I save the project to the network on PPC G5 drive.
Now when I go to PPC G5 to load the project on its drive, library manager pops up asking for office library & the project specific library and again I point to the PPC G5 location of these files and save the project. Going back to MacBook the cycle starts again.....
I am going crazy. I am sure others do networking, what am I doing wrong!!??? (I am using the universal version of AC10)

Also how could "sharepoints" help me? Just do not add another confused person to the world if I am not already.
Thanks,
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the problem is the fact that I am using one of the two workstation as a Server also. As the result the paths to the libraries have to be reset on each computer each time AC is loaded. I am going to have all my libraries on both computer identical and point to the local libraries only till I get a MacTel server.
Any thoughts,
Thanks,
Joseph