BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP Modeler Issues and Frustration

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have come from 6-7 years using AutoDesk MEP software to ArchiCAD MEP Modeler and am finding the switch to be very frustrating. There are a couple of issues that if rectified would help make the modeler more useful.

Currently in the MEP Modeler package the duct transitions have a default length of 1000mm. This is impracticable as a change in duct size of as little as 50mm will produce a transition far larger than required. This value should be set to an angle ie ASHREA standard states what the angle should be. I cant see why this angle cant be implemented as the default instead of the length.

The Duct elbows in the current MEP Modeler have a default bending radius of 600mm. this is impractical as smaller bends take up more space than they need and big ducts have a radius too small. The bending radius should be a function of the duct width ie with round duct the bending radius is normally 1 x D or 2 x D. A similar issue occurs with Pipe elbows.

The attribute manager will only let you transfer MEP systems created and not preferred MEP sizes etc.

The MEP routing dialog box should automatically switch layers when changing from duct/pipe/cable like the tool box does when switching from walls/doors etc.

Being able to assign a layer to MEP systems would be very helpful.

The options to set preferred angles are ignored when connecting one MEP object to another. The modeler will connect the 2 ducts in a direct line from one to another which may generate impractical bend angles. Other MEP packages with give connection route options to choose from before accepting the desired one.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
pipe fittings seem to ignore the pipe story settings which means more manual editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCuc3UN5XU
Anonymous
Not applicable
260 views and not a single comment?

Anyone using MEP?
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the absence of any other comments, have you sent an example file over to your resellers detailing the problems you have found? If they are bugs, they can easily forward it directly to Graphisoft. I expect any feedback from an experienced MEP user would be very useful to them!

Hope you find solutions to your frustrations soon!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I am in contact with our local reseller on a daily biases. They are also trying to get some answers from Graphisoft.

I posted on here hoping that other regular users may have found a work around etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you ressolved any of the issues posted on this thread?
Im planning to buy the MEP add on. But I dont know if its worth it.
Do any MEP modelers has any positive experiene using this add on?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had 2 people PM me about looking into it but have said the solutions have to come from Graphisoft as its beyond GDL editing. As yet I have had no response from Graphisoft through any channels. Makes me miss Autodesk Subscription support 😕

What extent of services modelling do you need to be able to achieve? Personally if you want to fully coordinate all 3 services then MEP modeller is counter-productive.
Learn and get certified!