Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP Product Research

Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear all,

As a Product Manager for MEP related developments I would like to better understand the needs of architects and engineers using our products. Because of this I have compiled the following survey: https://bit.ly/GSMEP.

Responses are more than welcome. I'm also open to any ideas you might have regarding this topic, feel free to provide them here in this topic.

Best regards,
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
97 REPLIES 97
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Aaron wrote:
In 1999, when Graphisoft was not yet part of Nemetchek (circa 2006), they purchased a UK firm called Cymap that was Revit MEP and more - long before there was a Revit MEP.

https://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/cymap.html

I had a demo version of this and had some online live demos. It was quite brilliant.
Thanks Aaron, do you believe that Cymap had more functionality than Revit at that time or the Revit we know now? (Revit was first released in 2000).
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
Cymap was far more functional than Revit. As an example, it would size pipes and ducts, but iit also did trunking and sizing of electrical circuits in a building.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
vdentello wrote:
Connections need almost 20 parameters each, that have to be created one by one inside the parameter tab.
I need to create a Draing with 8 possible connections and don't even wanna think about how much time i'm spending just doing this. The documentation is quite Short.

The GDL issue is that once you start setting up, everthing is still black and white. As it gets bigger, it becomes a mess. There are not even line numbers in GDL for a quick look.

If only recognized parameters or even just the comments became another color, it would be awesome.
Ok, so the issue here is that creating GDL objects is a really hard and time-consuming task. It would be helpful if we would enhance GDL creation.
About segment length i meant the IFC mapping of it and the schedules, I know how to pick them up inside the object, but they could be more explicit or passed to value "A".

Something Like that, and maybe setting a custom predefined Favorite for each angle
For now, unless you pick up the predefinition before a bend, its gonna choose something that is not right.
Something like a C++ Switch wich would check the angles and select the predefined bend/ radius/ size just like manufacturer sizes. Maybe those could look up to a simple txt/ XML sheet that has the favorite name/ rules.

The slope just caught me I never new about this! I've always expected to change it on the go, just like the roof tool.
I understand what you are saying, especially regarding the predefined bend sizes. I believe that this is one of the main issue currently with the MEP Modeler.
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Njegos wrote:
I have a couple of suggestions.
I created my library as a favorite of several material manufacturers used in my state. If I have drawn a pipe and the next element is bend, the MEP should automatically recognize the diameter of the pipe and suggest which angle I want to use. MEP has this option, but it only changes the diameter of the favorites that I used before and the other settings remain the same.
Also, it should be an option to change the shape of the connector and band shape( change point position of (B) Bend Radius).
Also a suggestion for creating schedules. When I made my schedules I had to add a new Property Manager and a new Classification Manager to make it easier to identify favorites, but I never managed to make a table that would sum up the lengths of pipes of a certain diameter and material, which are bought per meter long, not piece by piece.
There is a lot of small things that I would like to change, but I don't know is it worth for the others not just for me.
Thanks for the suggestions Njegos.

The automatic bend radius detection is certainly an issue that should be fixed.
By changing the shape of the connector do you mean the changing of the Connection Type (Flanged or Simple Body)? I also agree that duct and pipe sizes are bought by the meter (especially in larger projects) and the software should facilitate this.
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Braza wrote:
If GS is trying to improve AC MEP capabilities, I would suggest to contact a guy named Valeriy Ivanov.
You can find information about his work here.
He seems to be well versed in AC MEP GDL and has a very solid work in this area.
Perhaps a partnership with him to improve AC MEP Library.
Anyway... I don't think GS should spend much resources trying to do what other dedicated software do better for decades.
IMHO, Just improving the MEP library and minor tweaking on the input nodes would be enough.

Cheers,

p.s.: Here is a video about his latest works.

Thanks Braza. We know about Valery and appreciate his work. He does really detailed objects and sells them to MEP designers. What kind of partnership would you imagine? Asking Valery to help develop objects for ARCHICAD library?

I agree that there are other MEP focused software doing a much better job than we can do, we will maintain our focus on the architecture segment, but will also cater for the needs of the other disciplines.
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Aaron wrote:
Cymap was far more functional than Revit. As an example, it would size pipes and ducts, but iit also did trunking and sizing of electrical circuits in a building.
Clear, so it was much better in analysis and calculation functions at that time.
Just a fun fact: Much of the MEP Modeler is based on Cymap, but the target group changed from MEP Engineers to Architects.
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Balint!
Balint Kezer wrote:
...Asking Valery to help develop objects for ARCHICAD library?

Yes. But for starts, if GS could get an agreement with him and convert and add his already existent library within AC MEP Package would be great.
Especially for those AC users that are Engineers or even some Architects that due to business option do this kind of service.
But always as an Extra Addon with focus on just modeling, not Calculation/Analysis.
Just my 2cents.

Cheers,
Clear, so it was much better in analysis and calculation functions at that time.
Just a fun fact: Much of the MEP Modeler is based on Cymap, but the target group changed from MEP Engineers to Architects.
Bring back the Electrics, then. Objects and Symbols for everything from the Transformer to the Emergency Generator and everything in between.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
I think Braza's proposal is well worth considering. I've been looking at the MEP posts on Facebook over the years. He shows such dedication to the craft of Building Systems.

+1
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaron Bourgoin wrote:
...He shows such dedication to the craft of Building Systems.

Exactly!... "The force is strong with this one"