BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP Product Research

Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear all,

As a Product Manager for MEP related developments I would like to better understand the needs of architects and engineers using our products. Because of this I have compiled the following survey: https://bit.ly/GSMEP.

Responses are more than welcome. I'm also open to any ideas you might have regarding this topic, feel free to provide them here in this topic.

Best regards,
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
97 REPLIES 97
Nader Belal
Mentor
29. If you are still going to communicate with the MEP plugin using a Macro, then I advise that "MEP_m_ConnectionsACL_4" would separate visibility option of Hotspots from that of the 3D body.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
bouhmidage wrote:
The SAF format inspired me, this logic could be used in MEP in other sort,
MEP elements are " a block " with connections, inputs and outputs, a common format between all MEP softwares, that scribes theese inputs and outputs and " the block itself"
Inputs : common input parameter ,
Output ; Common output parameter
Block : geometry convertion

ARCHICAD_2020-10-28_14-19-52.png
Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing this idea! Personally I think that it's a great one!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #12919). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you once again, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Nader Belal
Mentor
@bouhmidage

Where can we consult SAF format ??
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Jp1138
Expert
Moonlight wrote:
@bouhmidage

Where can we consult SAF format ??

https://saf.guide/
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
bouhmidage
Advisor
Thanks Jp1138 for the link !
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
bouhmidage
Advisor
Thanks Mnguyen
Maybe like that it's more clear !
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
bouhmidage wrote:
Thanks Mnguyen
Maybe like that it's more clear !

ARCHICAD_2020-11-04_18-49-29.png
Hello,

Thank you for the illustration! I attached it with the wish already. It would be a big help to our Product Management team!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Nader Belal
Mentor
@bouhmidage

Just few comments,
  • As much as I can see the SAF Format, at least for now, it was geared towards Structural engineering, and not for MEP, and even then SAF format do have information about structural elements and spaces, and I do fail to see how would that be applied for MEP engineering, unless Nemetschek with other collaborating companies redefine SAF to include MEP data.
  • Even if your answer would be let's just the geometry right now until Nemetschek modifies SAF to include MEP data for SAF, well what improvement does it holds against send files as IFC which can send and receive geometric structural and MEP data, and is also accepted with a longer list of BIM programs and platforms !!!!
bouhmidage
Advisor
@Moonlight,
Well,
The ideai is not not to make .SAF format include MEP data, i mean, using the SAF logic to generate parametric MEP objects and MEP systems
the SAF is like nodes, linked with lines,
with analogy , the MEP new format is like the attachement

if things will be standardised, now one will refuse to use the new format, except of the "monopole defenders" and we all know who are the monopole creators in the BIM field,
in the MEP world, manufacturers are the big player, no MEP without objects, if they adobt this solution, all softwares will move on, especially when we talk about a simplified sharing solution,
a file with lines, points and data, each software read and write in it according to it's logic
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Nader Belal
Mentor
@bouhmidage

I see this as useless for the following reasons:
1. IFC is already the file format with similar capability + its open source, not vender specific as SAF is, and if you went to buildingsmart site, you will be able to see more BIM + CAD programs that can import and export IFC files. while SAF is only accepted by 10 program vender as maximum.

2. Most of the MEP equipments and connections are govern by the spaces they serve, and by the requirements of local regulations, so either way you will have to export project's spaces configuration and distribution, which would be either by using the original program's file, or through IFC ....
If you're going to use original files, then there is no need to use SAF, as the two programs will be able to communicate with each other directly, and if you're going to use IFC, then again you don't need SAF for nothing, since it's already exporting the geometry and data not only of the equipments but everything (almost everything you're using).

3. Then again you insisted on the point that equipment's node would carry the data for MEP connections, and again I tell you, I quick checked SAF site, and I couldn't find information about MEP what so ever, but it had information on structural connections, so SAF NEEDS TO INCLUDE MEP NODE SPECIFICATIONS FIRST, then the other programs to ADOPT IT, to make your idea viable. You simple can't put the cart before the horse.

4. I´m not familiar of different MEP design, calculation and modelling programs, except for Revit & CYPE, and both from my point of view can handle the data exchange with ArchiCAD using IFC, which will include geometry and data, cause in that case, you will have a combination of IFC project models (Architectural, Structural, Engineering), and in that case with an 80% of certainty, who ever made the Architectural model will not model the MEP system in ArchiCAD, and even then exporting/importing an IFC of the required model would do the trick.

5. ArchiCAD should set a number of reserved parameters for MEP, and right now, what is available is too low, and if we are going to talk about Electrical Equipments the shortage is stark.
Learn and get certified!