Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP Product Research

Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear all,

As a Product Manager for MEP related developments I would like to better understand the needs of architects and engineers using our products. Because of this I have compiled the following survey: https://bit.ly/GSMEP.

Responses are more than welcome. I'm also open to any ideas you might have regarding this topic, feel free to provide them here in this topic.

Best regards,
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
97 REPLIES 97
bouhmidage
Advisor
this will not replace the IFC model exchange format, but an addition to it, the IFC SAV format which is experimental now, inspired me , to mimic the same idea but for MEP. a combination between IFC and a new smart and lightweight format
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
bouhmidage
Advisor
@moonlight
Do you work with ddscad ? Does mergi g ddscad and archicad will bring some benefits ?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Nader Belal
Mentor
bouhmidage wrote:
@moonlight
Do you work with ddscad ? Does mergi g ddscad and archicad will bring some benefits ?
Sorry @bouhmidage, I have never had the chance to work with DDSCAD
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
A_ Smith
Expert
one more thing. MEP pipes. When I chose "MEP system" pipe and elbow have different settings from tee. Could you place "MEP system" option on the same (first) tab?
AC 22, 24 | Win 10
Nader Belal
Mentor
29. I have observed lately that the MEP colour coded system doesn't apply to terimal equipment, only pipes and ducts, and I think that the colour coding should also apply to them.

30. Many MEP equipments may have connection to different MEP systems, for example, a central HVAC equipments are require a water intake outlet and a connection to a drain beside the ducts, so in this case we may require that those equipments may adopt colour coding of any of MEP equipment
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
A_ Smith
Expert
MEP_isolation should be transferred to inline objects (IO) too. Honestly, when you have pipes with isolation and inserted IO it looks a bit ugly.

Would be nice if there was the possibility to apply for all selected elements (not by choosing each category of elements separately - pipes, elbows, tees, IO, but for all of them) to :
1. Change the diameter (ConWidth_1 for selection) - of course, in that case, everything that was selected (even if different diameters) became with the same dimension.
2. Add isolation. It's more convenient to add it after routing, placing inline objects. Applies the same isolation (thickness, material) for selected different pipe/ducts diameter.
3. Change MEP system.
AC 22, 24 | Win 10
A_ Smith
Expert
You should expand the possibility of pipe settings for each system type. For example, in a project I have different types of pipes, which can have different lengths of the tubes - for heating one piece of a tube can be 50, 100; but sewer pipes only 3m, 6m. It's not convenient to change max_lenght several times if I want precise tubes specification. I mean if I draw a straight tube 50m for heating, domestic hot and cold water it should be one piece, but if it's sewerage it should consist of 8 x 6m + 2m pipes (if 6m length is maximum).
AC 22, 24 | Win 10
vdentello
Advocate
A. wrote:
You should expand the possibility of pipe settings for each system type. For example, in a project I have different types of pipes, which can have different lengths of the tubes - for heating one piece of a tube can be 50, 100; but sewer pipes only 3m, 6m. It's not convenient to change max_lenght several times if I want precise tubes specification. I mean if I draw a straight tube 50m for heating, domestic hot and cold water it should be one piece, but if it's sewerage it should consist of 8 x 6m + 2m pipes (if 6m length is maximum).
Totally agree on that and: I would add the Option to make custom Bends selectable and also their angles.
As long as they meet the GDL standard parameter criteria, of course.
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
What about the M - E - P equivalent of the Steel Shapes Menu. Here in Canada, for example, it's likely that we use both metric and imperial product.

Construction goes to the International market when necessary: a new building beside my office here in Toronto sourced steel columns from Spain for the caisson work.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Can PARAM-O make MEP Parts?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1