BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP Tools: Is there a way to edit Default Settings for elements created by IFC import?

Stuart Smith
Booster

I'm updating our office template to better handle importing IFC models from our consultants.  

The default graphic and story visibility settings of the various MEP tools (Duct, Bend, Terminal, Transition, etc.) determine how the imported models look in Archicad. 

It's very tedious to go through all 25 different tools and change the default settings to work with our template, is there way to edit them all at once?

v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Smith
Booster

I spoke too soon.  The default settings of the MEP tools do NOT affect the parameters of the elements in the imported IFC.

How do I edit the default settings of elements created when importing an IFC?

v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1

@Stuart Smith wrote:

How do I edit the default settings of elements created when importing an IFC?

If they are being imported in an IFC file, wouldn't those elements need to be set correctly in whatever software is creating the IFC file?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

If they are being imported in an IFC file, wouldn't those elements need to be set correctly in whatever software is creating the IFC file?

I'm only talking about the graphic attributes like pens and line types, and also more importantly story visibility settings.

For example, the default setting for Floor Plan Display is "All Relevant Stories", but we would prefer it to be "Home Story Only". 

We're trying to do things like have our Mechanical consultant's ducts show on our RCPs when there is exposed ductwork in a space. Currently we have to spend a lot of time adjusting Floor Plan Display of objects in their model after it's been opened in Archicad. And we need to re-do it every time we get an updated model.

Graphic attributes like pens and fills we can handle with Graphic Overrides, but the Floor Plan Display thing is tough.

v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Learn and get certified!