Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Mac OSX Lion

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see Mac is coming out with a new OS. Are there going to be any issues with Archicad's 12 thru 15 any other issues like having to buy yet another computer. I also here that Intel is coming out with a their next chip will that have it's own issues or is it just too early to know anything about either yet.
Either way this might work for me, timing wise since I'm still on 12 on a PPC Mac it may allow me to skip a few computer generations and save a lot of money or maybe I'll just stock up on cheap used Mac's and never upgrade again. Although there are some nice features since 12.
87 REPLIES 87
Karl Ottenstein
Stephen wrote:
Well, Lion is available today. Who will be the first Archicad user to try it? Please let us know.
I hope that not too many people try it: if you run ArchiCAD and just have a burning desire to download Lion, I very strongly recommend that you keep a bootable clone of your Snow Leopard installation so that if there are more Lion-related issues with ArchiCAD you can continue your production work.

Graphisoft tech support knows of some other issues with the pre-release version of Lion and we should give them time to test with the final version and let us know when it is safe for production environments to migrate to Lion - and what the issues are with each version since AC 10 under Lion. I'm sure that they will eventually provide a hotfix for any issues on their end. I wouldn't be surprised that Apple finds more issues on their end and we have to wait for OX 10.7.1 or higher for those to be fixed.

I recommend patience. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chazz
Enthusiast
sigh.....

In GS' defense, they were one of the first developers on the intel migration but this situation with Lion is, well, unacceptable (but we will accept it anyway).

They will have to address this eventually because, in a while, you won't be able to buy a Mac that doesn't come with Lion --and those machines will not boot to anything lower. Karl is right to call for patience.

But patience will only get you so far. I'm sure that they will get a working version up at some point but I doubt they will ever get a versiopn that is compatible with Auto Save and Versions or Full-Screen mode. Does AC work with Spaces yet? Or the system wide hide and show features introduced by Apple eons ago? Those things just seem beyond GS' ability to deal with. This is a shame because they are part of the fun and pleasure of owning a Mac.

Phooey.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just don't see ArchiCAD ever taking advantage of the versions feature or autosave of Lion. Wouldn't that break the platform independent file?
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
FYI people

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/SlowTextDrawingOnLion

The bottom line is don't upgrade yet.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Eduardo Rolon
In addition using Command+O shortcut to open a new file crashes AC. Same thing happens if you select "Launch another Instance".

Have not seen the text bug.

Obviously I am running Lion on a Dual Boot System with lets me keep 10.6 available.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
ejrolon wrote:
Same thing happens if you select "Launch another Instance".
This is a major deal breaker. Thanks for the heads up.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Eduardo Rolon
Funny thing is that AC14 does not crash.

It looks like it might have something to do with using the BimServer Libraries or Library Management in General.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Ben wrote:
The bottom line is don't upgrade yet.
...which Graphisoft Tech Support has now made the top line of the Lion article:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/MacOSXLion
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
If graphisoft are relying on Apple's update to 'fix' the problems, apparantley the .1 (10.7.1) would be issued within a few weeks.

Historically apple issue the first fix within a few weeks of releasing the OS...

Hopefully it will work! Not sure why Graphisoft didn't fix it though, I mean no disrespect but wasn't developers given seeds of Lion well over a year ago?
Karl Ottenstein
Sure, the developers have been working with the Lion seeds, as have lots of other companies. I think Graphisoft is probably ahead of Adobe...check out this long list of Adobe issues with Lion:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Were I Graphisoft and I had only these bugs: (1) a crash that affects everyone, (2) a UI problem that affects Macs running Snow Leopard, (3) a UI problem that affects Windows, (4) a bug that affects Macs running Lion ... my resources would be spent on 1 through 3, since nobody HAS to upgrade to Lion. However, as pointed out by Chazz below - anyone purchasing a new Mac will of course have Lion, so Lion issues cannot be postponed for long.

I'd love to take Lion for a spin, but am going wait until I hear that all of the software I use is going to work properly.

Cheers,
Karl