Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Mac OSX Lion

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see Mac is coming out with a new OS. Are there going to be any issues with Archicad's 12 thru 15 any other issues like having to buy yet another computer. I also here that Intel is coming out with a their next chip will that have it's own issues or is it just too early to know anything about either yet.
Either way this might work for me, timing wise since I'm still on 12 on a PPC Mac it may allow me to skip a few computer generations and save a lot of money or maybe I'll just stock up on cheap used Mac's and never upgrade again. Although there are some nice features since 12.
87 REPLIES 87
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mac OS 10.7.1 was released today. Does anyone know if it corrects any of the know AC15 issues?
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I was hoping GS would reply to this. I am looking forward to the new OS, but can't /won't until they give the OK.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Unfortunately 10.7.1 doesn't have a fix for this issue, though we moderated the warning on AC wiki, because the severity of this really depends on the actual workflow of the AC user. Having some bold/italic texts with the affected fonts don't cause much trouble for the AC performance but of course having a massive amount of problematic texts can really slow down the work.

For detailed info see: http://archicadwiki.com/MacOSXLion

To see how your plans perform in Lion: install it on a test partition/test computer and do some tests. If everything looks OK, go ahead and migrate a production computer to Lion - but make sure you have a complete backup of the previous system.

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
ejrolon wrote:

It looked like the issue was that BimS started to read my second HD before the system had connected to it, then it created a link to a folder that did not exist in ~/Volumes (but it was specified in the BimS settings) taking over the name of my secondary HD this forced the system to change the name of the HD to xxx-1 and everything else went to hell after that.
Ejrolon,

we strongly recommends to have all BIM Server databases on a local hard drive because of similar cases.
http://archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/BimServerConfiguration#STEP_2_-_Project_Data_Folder
Otherwise this second HDD is an external one, or an internal one?

Thanks,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
So are the issues in the hands of Apple or graphisoft now?

It seems that Graphisoft was 'waiting' for Apple to try and fix the issue, but clearly this has not worked... do we now wait until 10.7.2?

Thought I'd mention that AutoCAD 2012 for Mac is now out and works natively on Lion... runs perfect too. (but it's autoCAD )
Eduardo Rolon
THe HD is an internal one and it used to work fine in AC14. Right now I have the main libraries running on the Main HD and the projects on the secondary internal HD and the BimS is set to not launch on a restart.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Eduardo,
ejrolon wrote:
THe HD is an internal one and it used to work fine in AC14. Right now I have the main libraries running on the Main HD and the projects on the secondary internal HD and the BimS is set to not launch on a restart.
Having the server on manual startup is the safest way to avoid such issues, though we were not able to reproduce this here at GS. All internal HDDs should be mounted before the startup of the services. Our tests were done using 10.7.1 so it is possible that Apple has fixed this issue in the first OS patch.

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Eduardo Rolon
Could be though I don't remember any weird finder stuff with 10.7.1.

Since I disabled the start on launch and I make sure that the BimS has been shut down before a restart I have avoided the problem.

One thing that I think might be causing problems was the Auto Start feature in conjunction with a crash or forgetting to quit BimS before a restart. If this happens then (I think) the system ignores that BimS is not supposed to start on relaunch.

Then since BimS was not shut down the system on restart launches it in the background and that sometimes creates the strange links in the ~/Volumes folder.

-----
Complete solution/"workaround" is to follow the recommendation of using only the startup HD for BimS.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The newest archicad 15 hot fix information has this to say about bug fixes:

USER INTERFACE: On Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) Dialog windows could not be stretched if grabbed at their edges
USER INTERFACE: On Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) Palette could not be dragged if grabbed at the Title Resize area

CAN WE UPGRADE NOW?!
Karl Ottenstein
outpostarc wrote:
CAN WE UPGRADE NOW?!
This Wiki page is the current definitive statement on Lion and ArchiCAD:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/MacOSXLion

As noted there, the bold/italic text issue has to be addressed by Apple in a Lion update. If the description of the problem there does not affect you, consider upgrading but keep a Snow Leopard clone around just in case you have other issues. (See the post from Marton Kiss, below.) Other software (including Adobe products), not just ArchiCAD, has problems with Lion - may or may not affect you.

Keep checking back to the page above after Apple's Lion updates (10.7.2 apparently is coming 'soon') to see if Graphisoft considers the issue resolved.

Personally, I'm interesting in seeing what Lion has to offer, but see no urgency...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB