Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Maxon Freeform in ArchiCad

Anonymous
Not applicable
"SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT – JUNE PROMOTION!

Graphisoft and Maxon are happy to announce a new partner solution for ArchiCAD called FreeForm. Based on Cinema 4D, FreeForm allows users of ArchiCAD to edit elements of building models as parametric primitives; with extrusions, holes, planes, points and paths; or with deformers and form generators, providing total design freedom!"

I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds pretty interesting. Total design freedom? I like that. Anyone care to comment.
111 REPLIES 111
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did a quick seach and found this on CGTalk July 20th:

Hello Everyone,

I want to confirm the information from Srek about the Archicad plugin that allows anyone with C4D R9 to work seamlessly with Archicad like what we have seen with the MaxonFORM demonstration.

According to a retailer in my area, the plugin is provided "free of charge" if you purchase the newest version of ArchiCAD and have an existing license of Cinema 4D R9. My point of contact is just going to verify with Graphisoft and get more information.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=256697&page=2&pp=15
TomWaltz
Participant
rbissett wrote:
Did a quick seach and found this on CGTalk July 20th:

Hello Everyone,

I want to confirm the information from Srek about the Archicad plugin that allows anyone with C4D R9 to work seamlessly with Archicad like what we have seen with the MaxonFORM demonstration.

According to a retailer in my area, the plugin is provided "free of charge" if you purchase the newest version of ArchiCAD and have an existing license of Cinema 4D R9. My point of contact is just going to verify with Graphisoft and get more information.
Just remember, the free plug-in is one-way: Archicad-to-C4D. It is really nice if you use C4D a lot, especially on rapidly evolving projects.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
Just remember, the free plug-in is one-way: Archicad-to-C4D. It is really nice if you use C4D a lot, especially on rapidly evolving projects.
Hi Tom,

Does this mean that the MaxonForm plug-in that allows C4D users to use C4D instead of MaxonForm is not free? Any idea what the cost is to C4D owners who do not need MaxonForm itself, only the plug-in?

This is all verbally confusing because these plug-ins do not have formal names. There are two: one that exports to C4D that has been around for a while. The other is the one that adds the 2-way C4D/MaxonForm interaction (elements to C4D or MaxonForm, GDL in return).

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
Hi Tom,

Does this mean that the MaxonForm plug-in that allows C4D users to use C4D instead of MaxonForm is not free? Any idea what the cost is to C4D owners who do not need MaxonForm itself, only the plug-in?
Karl
My dealer told me there would be a difference, but he did not know how much.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont know if you see the problem.

Maxonform does nothing but bridge archicad and c4d but in a primitive way.
I will just act as an importer-exporter.

What we want is native 3d tools. Work in 3D like we work in 2D.
Draw edges and create faces like in sketchup.

This to be done would mean that archicad's definition of objects should GREATLY enchance.

Unfortunately i see this plugin as an obstacle. A commitment from GS to Maxon that would not bring us the native 3d tools we want.

I really hope that AC10 would bring many many many many working enchachment, but i am rather pessimistic
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Maxonform does nothing but bridge archicad and c4d but in a primitive way.
I will just act as an importer-exporter.

What we want is native 3d tools. Work in 3D like we work in 2D.
Draw edges and create faces like in sketchup
exactly,
talking about the architectural reality, Maxon f-form is just another bull...
doesn't solve anything, just adding another 'well, may be, but still not there...' attitude. We have seen them a lot, I suppose, I could start with Lightworks, then the option manager and libraries and so on... I am bitching about this because I'm really sick of half-cooked GS solutions.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
what i really hope, is we dont get another "nice looking" solution like lightworks and no actuall 3d tools. And i mean alot of new 3d tools, cause v9 brought as almost zero.

It must be realised, that the presentation part, although important must be left for other players. What i expect from any cad program is modern building tools and of course documentation tools.

We are almost 3 years without new tools, and that is alot of time
Rakela Raul
Participant
It must be realised, that the presentation part, although important must be left for other players. What i expect from any cad program is modern building tools and of course documentation tools.
im sure there are many people, specially in the usa just waiting to see what ac10 brings....to check into revit immediately.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
The pressure is on GS for fundamental improvements. People are going to be very unhappy if they wait for ArchiCad 10 and just see minimal improvements. I'd say this is do or die time for GS.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you speak for A LOT of us.. Version 10 will be pivotal. Difficult for some still learning to stay focused with uncertainty and that monumental wish-list. It is actually in GS's best interest to leak info on great new features and I think they would, if there were. At this point protecting Ver 9 sales is moot really..

It speaks to the great benefits of the whole BIM/modelling concept that software so expensive can have a thriving 3rd party industry for the most basic of tools.