BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Merging From DWG Not Working

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have had a lot of problems merging DWG geometry into ArchiCAD. Sometimes it works, but more often than not 10-50% of the geometry is missing. I thought it might be a size issue so I had one of our guys split the DWG into two files, then merge each one separately. Both merges worked, so we rebuilt a single DWG from the two chunks and the single one still wouldn't merge correctly. That tells me that my translator is working correctly, so it has to be some other problem. Bug?
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
We have had a lot of problems merging DWG geometry into ArchiCAD. Sometimes it works, but more often than not 10-50% of the geometry is missing. I thought it might be a size issue so I had one of our guys split the DWG into two files, then merge each one separately. Both merges worked, so we rebuilt a single DWG from the two chunks and the single one still wouldn't merge correctly. That tells me that my translator is working correctly, so it has to be some other problem. Bug?
What kind of geometry? Any 2D solids? Where is the origin? What are the units? What are the limits, and the DWG limits?

These are all the factors that contribute - or not, as the case might be.

IMHE XReffing works best, and you can (which you should not) copy protions of XRef and paste them into the plan ...

A philosophical question - why merging?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
What kind of geometry? Any 2D solids? Where is the origin? What are the units? What are the limits, and the DWG limits?

All 2D linework -- no solids, 3D faces, or AEC objects. Origin is always 0,0 which is in close proximity to the geometry. Units are imperial inches. The drawing limits are generally small because we ignore them. As far as size goes, one instance only contained about 50 entities in a 10' x 10' area; another was a pretty simple floor plan about 100' x 80'.
Djordje wrote:

In this case it is because we were going to use the geometry for standard details. Since they never change, I decided I would rather just have them in a PLN file -- the native AC format. That way I clean them up once and they are done.
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
Djordje wrote:
In this case it is because we were going to use the geometry for standard details. Since they never change, I decided I would rather just have them in a PLN file -- the native AC format. That way I clean them up once and they are done.
If the merging is causing the trouble here, just open the file, and save it as PLN. Then you can merge, copy/paste, whatever.

Yes, I know, a workaround ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!