Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Mesh not Exporting Into Revit 2019

kittonian
Beginner
I have a mesh for our site grade that we've spent quite a bit of time creating, and I need to get it over to our civil engineer who is using Revit 2019. I have tried multiple ways of exporting it as an IFC and it won't show up in Revit. There seems to be an outline of some sort that will highlight in blue, but the mesh itself does not seem to be present.

Also, Archicad is telling me I do not have a "survey point" set when I save out the IFC. I do have longitude/latitude, project north, etc. all set for this project. Is this something I need to worry about?

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
9 REPLIES 9
What geometry conversion did you use ?
Try with AECOsim Building Designer which is in the default AC file. This mode of geometry conversion is a good starting point before working on the subject. You should also make sure that you match the properties and the classification of the elements of your model.
So is it a mesh with thickness or just a thin "sheet" ?
Do you model this mesh with the dedicated tool or is it a mesh generated via GrassHopper or other ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
kittonian
Beginner
Geometry Conversion: BREP

From everything on Graphisoft's website, it says for Revit use BREP.

It is a mesh with thickness as it is the site grade of the property based on sea level. It was created using the mesh tool entirely in Archicad (not Grasshopper).

All other elements came through using this method (walls, slabs, windows/doors, etc.). The only thing not working correctly is the mesh.
OS X 11.2.3
What about your mesh classification into AC ?
And after checking it, you had to check this parameter about geometry parameter

Perhaps your mesh is not right classified
Perhaps your export translator is not right done
Perhaps your import translator into revit is not right done... But I can't help you about this
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
kittonian
Beginner
IFC Site Geometry is set to Solid Body

The classification in AC is set to Site Geometry
OS X 11.2.3
Hi,

I invite you to import the IFC export translator you will find into the tpl file I've done for you
It's the AC22 standard template with just only one IFC export translator which is called "great export"
After using it tell me if you problem is finaly over

The link (to download before 21 July 2019) : https://e-nautia.com/share/91125-55entjxw

And if the worry persists, it will be necessary to wonder about the translation of this IFC since REVIT because this IFC translator has been tested successfully with Tekla BIM sight, Solibri, EVE BIM (French IFC reader)
Christophe - FRANCE

kittonian
Beginner
Thank you. I have to wait until Monday to try it out but I downloaded it and imported the IFC settings into my project. I'll report back soon!
OS X 11.2.3
kittonian
Beginner
It turns out it wasn't my IFC translation settings at all.

Apparently, the reason the import of the terrain mesh was not working is because Revit does not offer a mesh object and therefore there is no way to IFC translate the object.

However, I found a step-by-step article on how to achieve the import.

Here’s the link to the article:
https://asiabim.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/editable-topography-from-archicad-to-revit/

I'm a bit surprised that no one here on this forum had an answer for why a mesh object wasn't IFC importing into Revit. How are the rest of you creating your terrain objects off of site topos and then getting those to your structural and civil engineers?
OS X 11.2.3
kittonian wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that no one here on this forum had an answer for why a mesh object wasn't IFC importing into Revit.
You are in a Graphisoft Forum. The problem is on the Autodesk side so... I'm not surprised that no one here on this forum had an answer about an Autodesk problem
Thanks about the weblink about the solution
kittonian wrote:
How are the rest of you creating your terrain objects off of site topos and then getting those to your structural and civil engineers?
Today IFC are often used to coordinate construction and each time I export mesh I'll finish by understanding that nobody really use my mesh. IFC deals with an export for a specific use. Today Nobody tells me to have my mesh and I'm sorry about that because it's allways still very well modeled into my Archicad Project
Christophe - FRANCE

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
It's the same with Solibri. You have to re-map site to building element proxy to get the terrain to show. I think site is not the same as terrain...site is more an administrative notion!?
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.