Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Migrate server from one computer to another

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I’m looking for some help to move our BIM Cloud from one machine to another.

Some background:
We are a small architecture firm, just 2 architects, and our workstations are basically macbooks pro attached to a docking station with monitors and peripherals. This allows us to work comfortably while in the office, with great monitor real state, while still being able to take our notebooks to the construction site, trips and even do some work from home.
The server is running in my macbook, and up until now this setup was ok (not perfect but got the job done).
Lately we find ourselves working more off site, and at different times, making it hard to sync and handle reservations since I must be online every time my partner needs server access. So we have decided we needed a dedicated server machine in order make thing a bit smoother.

I digged up an old mackbook where I'm planning on installing our BIM Cloud but I’m not sure how to proceed to “move the server”. I have very basic knowledge of BIM Cloud, haven’t touched any setting since we moved from “BIM Server” to “BIM Cloud” so I’m a bit unsure how to proceed.

Did some research and seems the simplest way would be to set up a new server (instead of moving the server..) and then migrate the projects from the current server to the new one via Bim Cloud Manager, this should be fairly fast and with barely any downtime. I’d appreciate some help regarding the new server setup. Current server allocated IP is 192.168.1.86:22000, should the new server have the same IP, but different name, so that I can see both in the Manager? or same IP with different port? or entirely new IP?

Also, in case of new IP or port, would any router settings need to be touched? I know this entirely depends on how our network is set up and theres no way anyone can give me a straight answer without more information, but if you can point me at what things I should check for I should be able to handle myself (hopefully...)

I’m a bit clueless, I know.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi,

I don't know your current setup's details, though, this is what I would recommend you to follow:
0. Send & Receive in all projects you are currently joined with any of the users.
1. Export projects, libraries, users and as optional, roles if you changed any of them from the current BIMcloud Basic.
2. Install the new BIMcloud Basic - can have any name or port, just make sure it is accessible - should be a Fully Qualified Domain Name or a static IP and should be accessible from external network too, since you plan to move to the site as well.
3. Import projects, libraries, users and roles to the new setup.
4. Continue working - users must re-join to the new BIMcloud Basic with all projects.

In this case, normally you don't need to change anything, the only problematic thing can be if you have Teamwork hotlinks or external drawings - then they should be re-linked from the new BIMcloud Basic.

This is the easiest way - if you follow this, it is hard to go wrong. : )

Kind regards,

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Anonymous
Not applicable
nbalogh wrote:
Hi,

I don't know your current setup's details, though, this is what I would recommend you to follow:
0. Send & Receive in all projects you are currently joined with any of the users.
1. Export projects, libraries, users and as optional, roles if you changed any of them from the current BIMcloud Basic.
2. Install the new BIMcloud Basic - can have any name or port, just make sure it is accessible - should be a Fully Qualified Domain Name or a static IP and should be accessible from external network too, since you plan to move to the site as well.
3. Import projects, libraries, users and roles to the new setup.
4. Continue working - users must re-join to the new BIMcloud Basic with all projects.

In this case, normally you don't need to change anything, the only problematic thing can be if you have Teamwork hotlinks or external drawings - then they should be re-linked from the new BIMcloud Basic.

This is the easiest way - if you follow this, it is hard to go wrong. : )

Kind regards,
Thanks for the reply!

Thats pretty much the process I had in mind at first. Backup everything and uninstall BimCloud from old machine, install BimCloud in new machine and import everything to it. I didn't thought about external links and hotlinks tho, that alone might require a full day to re-link.

But then I saw this:

Thought I could have both servers running at the same time and move the projects seamlessly.
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
The feature you are referring to is a BIMcloud only feature, requires a BIMcloud User License. With the possibility to upgrade - downgrade between BIMcloud and BIMcloud Basic could do the trick, but this workflow needs advanced knowledge of BIMcloud:

1. You need to install a Server all alone first on the new machine
2. You must upgrade BIMcloud Basic to BIMcloud
3. Pair the new Server with the existing BIMcloud Manager
4. Change host of all projects - can be done one by one
5. Disconnect new Server from the existing BIMcloud Manager
6. Install a new BIMcloud Manager
7. Pair the new Server with the new Manager
8. Downgrade BIMcloud to BIMcloud Basic
9. Activate the new BIMcloud Basic, or it won't work at all

It works, if you know what these steps are doing. If you are not familiar that much with BIMcloud, then I think it would be more like a nightmare than a real smooth workflow.

What I told you before is an easier approach - you need to export - import projects, install one BIMcloud Basic and that's all. It's up to you, but I still recommend this instead of Change Host for you.

Kind regards,

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin