BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Migrating from v9 to v10

Anonymous
Not applicable
We currently have a 120mg project file, with several layout books that have been created within v9. We are going to use this project as a test migration to v10.

Does any one have any tips or items that I need to consider before I test the process ?

I have looked at most of the relevant documentation and I believe that with time and patients it should work ok. However there is always an issue that the documents don't mention.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make sure you have a spare weekend to do it!

My projects converted very well but none of them was any where near as big as yours.

The one serious tip I would have is to keep the version 9 project live and maintain it as the "real" version if you have deadlines to meet with document issue. Do not use the version 10 file for issue of documents until you are totally up to speed on it. It can take a long time to perfect things like your master layouts for drawing issue and that can cause big delays with drawing issues.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I converted a group of files from 9 to 10 several months ago with a fair measure of success. The total of the files was over 200 megs consisting of modules, plns, layouts of PMKs and some other parts. The files were set up as individual components assembled in total in the Layout File. Since all printing occurred via the layout file, the coordination was relatively easy. Keeping all the paarts up to date was a little time consuming as the updates became a roadblock to productivity. We could likely have been more productive by setting up the individual components with a different break up - i.e. different grouping of modules and plns by assembling the site plan as the key plan and eliminating some of the linked files.

It is obviously more complex that I have described, but it worked.

Lew Bishop
Jon Worden Architects
MBP 17" 2.16/ 2GB/ Stock otherwise - OS X latest
Parallels, XP Home, AC1187US
TomWaltz
Participant
SMC/HMA wrote:
We currently have a 120mg project file, with several layout books that have been created within v9. We are going to use this project as a test migration to v10.

Does any one have any tips or items that I need to consider before I test the process ?

I have looked at most of the relevant documentation and I believe that with time and patients it should work ok. However there is always an issue that the documents don't mention.
The procedure outlined in the New Feature guide works pretty well.

Be prepared to spend some time checking your section/detail markers. Any views placed into Plotmaker that have their layer settings overridden will revert to what is set in the View Set, so you may need to spend some time there as well.
Tom Waltz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Also, you can expect your file sizes to be much less beacuse AC10 has built-in compression which is enabled by default.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!