Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Migration to AC 16

Bob Moore
Enthusiast
I installed AC 16 when in came out but have not used it until now. When I started AC up I don't have any of my office standards (Master layouts, favorites, custom palettes, etc). Did I miss something in my install? I never had this problem with previous versions. Do I need to de-install and reload the package?

Thanks
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Bob wrote:
I installed AC 16 when in came out but have not used it until now. When I started AC up I don't have any of my office standards (Master layouts, favorites, custom palettes, etc). Did I miss something in my install? I never had this problem with previous versions. Do I need to de-install and reload the package?
Bob,

Your office standards are not part of the installation ... they are your personalized settings, of course. Not sure why you did not run into the same situation with each prior upgrade...

Master layouts, favorites, predefined views, pen set, layer combos and much more are part of your personal template. You just need to open your template in 16 to get those things 'back'. (If you have not been working with a template - just open your most recent 15/etc project in 16, delete the content and save the result as a template.)

Custom palettes, menus, etc are part of your Work Environment. Generally, it is not advised to import the WE from a prior version in its entirety as you will not 'see' any of the new features of the new version...you'll get a duplicate of your old menus/etc. Many threads here about how people handle that. While you CAN add the new commands, toolbars, etc back into your scheme, it can be more of a hassle than customizing the 'standard' scheme from scratch.

Importing your old palette scheme (position and size of everything on-screen) can often work - and then further customize new palettes.

Generally, you can import your shortcut scheme from a prior version without much hassle ... But, if you use shortcut keys a lot, it's worth reviewing the 'standard' ones particularly for new commands.

Overall, something that takes a half hour to an hour to get set up with a completely new version... and easier to do if you can run both your old version and new version at the same time and flip back and forth.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl,
Worked perfectly after I consolidated the libraries.

Thanks again.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB