BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Missing vertex in ArchiCAD models?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I'm new to AC and have just been playing around with it for a bit. I always render in 3ds max, so have been testing how compatible AC is with exporting to max.

I have come across a strange problem, that when I have a wall with either 2 windows or 2 doors, that are parallel to each other. If I export to 3ds max as a .3ds (or dwg/dxf/obj) I find that the wall face is split into 2 polygons. This would normally be ok, but if I move the polygon I find that it is missing a vertex. Basically it’s an edge that passes through another edge, without being connected. This creates problems further down the line for me unless I fix it, in max. But this could be become very time consuming, as you can imagine doing each, one by one. I have not seen this problem before using ADT. So assume that ArchiCAD is generating poor models. I would like to know if it’s possible to edit or control the way ArchiCAD is generating its models? Or anything else that would help.

Thanks

I have attached 2 images from max to illustrate the problem more clearly
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe some with ArchiCad API and 3ds-file knowledge could write a better export instruction than the standard in AC?
When you export you got more faces than you need (like top of wall, faces between 2 connected wall and gap around windows, all vertex around holes not connected to wall faces) so often you have too optimize the 3d model in 3d Max if you build big worlds and shall make an interactive animation and let your customer walk around like in 3d games.

/Tobias
stefan
Expert
TurboGlider wrote:
Maybe some with ArchiCad API and 3ds-file knowledge could write a better export instruction than the standard in AC?
When you export you got more faces than you need (like top of wall, faces between 2 connected wall and gap around windows, all vertex around holes not connected to wall faces) so often you have too optimize the 3d model in 3d Max if you build big worlds and shall make an interactive animation and let your customer walk around like in 3d games.

/Tobias
That is, if you can access the real geometry in the ArchiCAD API... You can query triangulated geometry with the API, but that leaves all the control to the internal ArchiCAD engine.

I've used the API to export an ArchiCAD model into Radiance format and it works, but isn't perfect... You can access the non-triangulated geometry as well, but then you have to be sure that you can do the triangulation yourself. And this is very much dependent on the target application.

All in all, I've had good success exporting ArchiCAD models into whatever 3D-application that I could run on my PC, but it's true that the 3ds max model needed some adjustment to get rid of the rendering errors...

The same model (as a 3ds file) came through fine in Cinema4D.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!