Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Mixing iMacs & PCs on same remote project

Bruce
Expert
I work in a practice that uses mostly iMacs. I use a PC. Everyone is working remotely at the moment, connecting to the data server via VPN (using FortiClient), and the BIM Cloud.

What I'm finding is that my ARCHICAD (on PC) can't find the \\server address for modules, linked drawings, and publisher directories. However, I can bring the server up in my File Explorer...it just doesn't appear in ARCHICAD.

Has anyone encountered this before?

In the attached image (blurred for commercial sensitivity...but you can still see what I mean), you can see on the right my File Explorer, which shows the company's data server connected ok. However, on the left, it doesn't show in the ARCHICAD selection dialog (publisher in this example, but it's the same for hotlink / drawing selection).
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
23 REPLIES 23
Hello Bruce,

MacOS devices are PC like Windows devices 😉
Working throught BIMCloud with MacOS and Windows at the same time is absolutly not a subject.
Working on a PLN file with modules is a great idea if you stay near your files server.
About BIMcloud I invite you to share your modules as you share your PLN throught BIMcloud.
You are able to check this step is always respected about libraries, which are always accessibles.

Note : we are able to put a .mod into embded library but are we able to call these modules into our project ? Or why is it possible to put .mod into embded library ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Bruce
Expert
Thanks Christophe. Unfortunately linking to the BIM server won't help in this situation.

Our workflow is to Publish MOD files, then link them back into the main file.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Bruce wrote:
linking to the BIM server won't help in this situation
On the contrary ! Linking a shared file which is a module is perfectly possible and this solves all problems of linking and updating. The path to an unshared module cannot be ensured if it is not in the BIMCloud. For example, storing a module on a dropbox (or other cloud) does not solve this problem because the access path includes the designation of the hard disk which changes for each participant. THE best solution is to share the modules in the BIMCloud.
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Bruce
Expert
How do I set up my publisher to publish modules to the BIM Server? It's not an available option that I can see.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The main issue here is that BIMcloud is not a document storage/management platform so you cannot store files there. You can only upload an ARCHICAD Project File and Libraries there and those are the only types of files stored by it in its own database format. This is why it is possible to specify a BIMcloud Project File when placing Hotlinks. ARCHICAD downloads the Teamwork shared file from BIMcloud and places it as a Hotlinked Module. But it is not possible to place a MOD from the BIMcloud, because the BIMcloud does not store other types of files, and it regards MOD files as something different from Teamwork shared files.

Similarly, when placing a Drawing with the Drawing Tool, you can only place a file only from your local file system, but not from BIMcloud.

And similarly, when publishing, you cannot set the BIMcloud as the destination of you Publishing Set, because it does not store files such as PDF, DWG, etc., since it is not a documentation management application.

I know that there are other solutions from other vendors that let you publish files to their cloud document management platform, but BIMcloud is not such a platform. Maybe (hopefully?) in the future.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
The functionality of your BimlCloud design environment depends on your role. This role depends on your responsibility. If your BIM Manager has not given you access to project sharing: you will not be able to share a project.
Christophe - FRANCE

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Christophe, I think we are talking about different things. You re talking about Roles in BIMcloud, I am talking about ARCHICAD capabilities.
In ARCHICAD, it is possible to place a BIMcloud project as a Hotlinked Module:

However, when using the Drawing Tool, there is no similar capability, for example you cannot place a PDF from BIMcloud with the Drawing Tool, regardless of what your Role is in a Teamwork Project. The feature is not there in ARCHICAD.
Similarly, you cannot specify a BIMcloud folder for the destination in Publisher, there is no such feature in ARCHICAD.
LaszloNagy wrote:
Christophe, I think we are talking about different things. You re talking about Roles in BIMcloud, I am talking about ARCHICAD capabilities.
I've read...
Bruce wrote:
How do I set up my publisher to publish modules to the BIM Server? It's not an available option that I can see.
We can read that Bruce is not used to use remote project or sharing a project. I have read by "How...publish modules to the BIM Server?" that means Bruce need to send a module to BIMCloud. So that he need to check his BIMcloud role.
Christophe - FRANCE

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the question was:

"How...publish modules to the BIM Server?"

And the answer is:

You cannot. This feature is not implemented.
I think Bruce does not know for sure if it is possible or not. So I am saying that you cannot publish to the BIMcloud.

Here is BIMcloud on my computer. I have shared a Project and I am joined with the Lead Architect Role, which has all Permissions enabled for Publisher Sets, including Publishing:

As you can see, the "Publisher Sets - Publish" Permission is enabled.
However, when I go to Publisher Sets, try to set Publishing Properties, then click the "Browse" button, the upcoming Dialog lets me select a location on my Local Area Network, but not on the BIMcloud.

If it was possible to Publish to the BIMcloud, the upcoming Dialog would look like this Dialog:

But this Dialog appear only when placing a shared ARCHICAD Project from BIMcloud In the Place Hotlink Dialog.
In the Publisher Properties Dialog, it is not available.
It is a feature that is not implemented.

This is to the best of my knowledge, so if you know that it is possible to publish to the BIMcloud, please show me because I am interested in it. A screenshot would be great.