Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Mixing iMacs & PCs on same remote project

Bruce
Expert
I work in a practice that uses mostly iMacs. I use a PC. Everyone is working remotely at the moment, connecting to the data server via VPN (using FortiClient), and the BIM Cloud.

What I'm finding is that my ARCHICAD (on PC) can't find the \\server address for modules, linked drawings, and publisher directories. However, I can bring the server up in my File Explorer...it just doesn't appear in ARCHICAD.

Has anyone encountered this before?

In the attached image (blurred for commercial sensitivity...but you can still see what I mean), you can see on the right my File Explorer, which shows the company's data server connected ok. However, on the left, it doesn't show in the ARCHICAD selection dialog (publisher in this example, but it's the same for hotlink / drawing selection).
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
when placing a Drawing with the Drawing Tool, you can only place a file only from your local file system, but not from BIMcloud.
Podolsky
Ace
LaszloNagy wrote:
The main issue here is that BIMcloud is not a document storage/management platform so you cannot store files there. You can only upload an ARCHICAD Project File and Libraries there and those are the only types of files stored by it in its own database format. This is why it is possible to specify a BIMcloud Project File when placing Hotlinks. ARCHICAD downloads the Teamwork shared file from BIMcloud and places it as a Hotlinked Module. But it is not possible to place a MOD from the BIMcloud, because the BIMcloud does not store other types of files, and it regards MOD files as something different from Teamwork shared files.

Similarly, when placing a Drawing with the Drawing Tool, you can only place a file only from your local file system, but not from BIMcloud.

And similarly, when publishing, you cannot set the BIMcloud as the destination of you Publishing Set, because it does not store files such as PDF, DWG, etc., since it is not a documentation management application.

I know that there are other solutions from other vendors that let you publish files to their cloud document management platform, but BIMcloud is not such a platform. Maybe (hopefully?) in the future.
Are you sure you cannot direct publish to BIMCloud? How about Common Data Environment introduced in ArchiCAD 24? Or this post were written before AC 24 appeared?

See the video showing how it works in AC 24:
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
catzop wrote:
when placing a Drawing with the Drawing Tool, you can only place a file only from your local file system, but not from BIMcloud.

Since Archicad 24, the source of your Drawing can be located on BIMcloud.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Podolsky wrote:
LaszloNagy wrote:
The main issue here is that BIMcloud is not a document storage/management platform so you cannot store files there. You can only upload an ARCHICAD Project File and Libraries there and those are the only types of files stored by it in its own database format.

Are you sure you cannot direct publish to BIMCloud? How about Common Data Environment introduced in ArchiCAD 24? Or this post were written before AC 24 appeared?

My post was written in May 2020 at which point it was true as Archicad 23 was the latest available version.
However, in July 2020, Archicad 24 came out, which included the new feature of being able to publish to BIMcloud.
So yes, it was true, then 2 months later, it was no longer true.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!