BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Modelport imports creates triangulated faces. How to fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi;
This is our first attempt at importing models exported from Sketchup into ArchiCAD through the Modelport plugin. We have tried bot .obj and .fbx formats with all sorts of different settings but are getting the same issue every time with the object importing with triangulated faces. Can anybody give me a hint of how we can get a clean looking object imported into ArchiCAD. I am attaching a screenshot of the planview and 3D view of the imported object.

Marc
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to mention that the .fbx import also screws up the original size of the object, it comes in much smaller that it should, eporting in either model units or inches.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi;
This is our first attempt at importing models exported from Sketchup into ArchiCAD through the Modelport plugin. We have tried both .obj and .fbx formats with all sorts of different settings but are getting the same issue every time with the objects importing with triangulated faces. Can anybody give me a hint of how we can get a clean looking object imported into ArchiCAD. I am attaching a screenshot of the planview of the imported object. On that same note, the .fbx import does not scale correctly, while the .obj import comes in at correct scale. Can anybody that is doing tis successfully let me know what we're doing wrong?

Thx,
Marc
Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.06.09 AM.png
Karl Ottenstein
Please don't create duplicate topics when you haven't received a response. I've merged your old topic (screenshot missing now for some reason) and the new one from today.

This is a user forum. If nobody responds, nobody responds. If you need immediate assistance, contact tech support.

Take a look at this article for one method of eliminating triangularization:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/removing-triangulation-from-imported-sketchup-cinema-4d-and-3d...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ocatillo
Contributor
The geometry you're referring to is a nuisance indeed, but it can be removed. After importing the modeled element into ArchiCAD, you need to explode the element into a morph. Once morphed, you can take one of two paths to eliminate the unwanted geometry: 1.) Select the entire morph and then change the edges to hidden or rounded in the morph's properties; or 2.) select individual lines of geometry that you want to remove and hide just those lines.

This can be a bit of a tedious process, but I find it to still be quicker than modeling the element from scratch most of the time.

Hope that helps...
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!