Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Morph profile dimensions in component schedules

saninocencioja
Newcomer
Hello all,

I am a draftsperson for a timber frame company. I am trying to use component schedules to make automated timber tallies. I have been able to get the schedule to display dimensions (width, height, length) for column and beam elements, but I cannot find a way to get the same information for morphs. From what I can tell, the only information available for morphs are the following: Area (By Story), Cast Shadow, Receive Shadow, Surface, and Volume (By Story). I use morphs often in my work, and they are usually derived from either a column or a beam, so they are almost always a rectangular solid. I fear there is no way to get a simple WxHxL for a morph, but is there a way to get a volume (complete, not by story), and if so, what are the units in the volume measurement? I cannot find a clear answer on the web.

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you try "Gross Volume" or "Net Volume" under General Parameters in the Parameter Editor?

Also and FYI, you could have a look on Objective from Central Inovation (former Cadimage). Its a brilliant addon that I think is more suited to your kind of work.

Another good option could be ArchiFrame.
saninocencioja wrote:
Hello all,

I am a draftsperson for a timber frame company. I am trying to use component schedules.....
Your observation is correct. When you convert the object into a morph you lose the ability to schedule it in the most useful way - unless- you want to get clever with how to save it as an object that does have the data you would like to extract into the interactive schedule.
There are other work arounds. For example, you can keep the object that does have the HxWxL information you want in the schedule when you convert a copy of it to a morph. Modify the morph to have the correct geometry and put the original object on an unseen layer so you can still extract the data you what. Not a great solution but for me there are typically on a few things in each model where something like that can't be taken care of with a SEO. I get by with that sort of thing because what I am really after is my interactive schedule is now may of what incremental length I want to order. Not usually a cut list. However, if you are making fabrication schedules for each special member, you might just want to use the schedule for IDs in association with a 3D Document where you can show all the dimensions, angles, etc... ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

saninocencioja
Newcomer
Steve, the thought had crossed my mind to use 'hidden' layered beams/columns which would correspond to their respective morphs, but the overall premise of this exercise was to compile a timber tally in less time than it would take to do so by visually counting the pieces and measuring them. I initially was trying something similar by using complementing morphs to sculpt beams with SEO, then hiding the morphs in another layer, but that had its own complications.

Braza, I have tried using "Net Volume", and it gives me some usable data, but the information is limited due to the fact it doesn't give me timber dimensions. In addition, it calculates the exact volume of the timber frame, rather than accounting for waste which can vary greatly. I will definitely take a look at both plugins you've mentioned, I definitely appreciate the input.
Everything still populates your Interactive Schedule automatically as you model. You would add a picture of the custom beams with dimensions/annotations you make in the schedule. This is not a great example of a custom object but you get the idea I am sure. I use this sometimes to show special side cuts and angles for beams that merge for roofs with different pitch. Theoretically, I think you should be able to Annotate a morph of any geometry in the Interactie Schedule. Add multiple views of it in your schedules. For really custom beams and other parts I print them off on their own 8 1/2 x 11 sheet for the fabricators/carpenters.

I have tried the demos of some of these Framing add-ons and it is still my observation that they don't do anything you can't already do with out them. They may be more convenient is in some situations but still, I didn't think they add much value. Just an opinion based on what I do with framing models and Interactive Schedules. You may also find it useful to paste a picture of a 3D Document or something in the Annotations area of the Interactive Schedule. again, sorry for the poor example - the screen shot pasted into the Annotations window is not related to the beam it is showing . Just a crude example.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25