Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Multiple Door Layers when converting to AutoCAD

kevin b
Contributor
This may have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. We need to send our drawing to consultants who work in AutoCAD. When we convert to AutoCAD using the translator, everything works out as anticipated however, we would like doors to be on specific layers related to the wall they are in. As it stands now, the only option appears to be convert all doors to layer XYZ (we use A-DOOR). We would like it so that doors in a demo wall could be converted to A-DOOR-Demo, doors in a new wall to A-DOOR-New, etc. Am I missing something or is there just no way to do this?
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid this is not possible at the moment.
Doors will always either go to the layer of their parnet wall or all doors will go to the layer specified for them in the translator.
Could be a wish.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
On a second thought:
there is the Pen-to-layer conversion method.
You could make doors in demo wall a certain color, and doors in regular walls another color. Then in the pen-to-layer conversion table of the translator you could specify layers for these pen numbers.
I haven't tried it but it could be workable.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
kevin b
Contributor
That does work, however if you use several pen colors for doors, you need a color for each of those and these have to be colors that are not used for anything else in the project. So in our case we have 3 pens each for doors and windows so for existing, demo and new for each of these thats a lot of unique colors that can't be used for anything else. Wer will probably wind up doing this and paring down some of the lineweights we use to reduce the number of colors needed. The other thing to be aware of is that when these are exported to ACAD, the doors become blocks. The elements within the blocks are on the mapped pen>layers, however the blocks themselves are still on A-DOOR, or whatever (or they remain on the parent layer of the wall) either way the consultants need to know in order to handle on/off freeze/thaw correctly for the nested items.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't checked to see whats up in the new plotmaker, but doesn't PM create multiple layers called "Doors of [Name of Layer]" in each view? If that is the case can you set up a layer to layer translation and publish from plotmaker?

just a thought
wes