BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Need some help with excel VLOOKUP (AC > Excel > AC)

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I need some excel advice 😉. As we all know Ecel is the best BIM tool out there.
I have a schedule from AC with two columns, ID and name. The name should follow a
standard but since the names were entered manually the human factor has caused some
slight mispellings. I have an excel with the correct name for every ID and my idea
was to replace the wrong names with the correct names through ArchiCADs excel connection.
I landed on VLOOKUP which works but needs the ID to be inthe first column and AC puts its
identification code in the first row. What I did is to copy the ID and name columns to a
new spreadsheet and from there perform the VLOOKUP. I suspect there is a way to do this
without having to create an extra spreadsheet. I figure INDEX MATCH or something but I can't
figure it out so if anyone is an ecel guru I'd be happy for advice.

I know this is important excel knowledge and should really find the time to learn more about excel since
we're dealing with more and more data. The dream is to communicate with the AC database directly from excel/web but not yet. BIM-eye
is kind of this solution but I'd like a "sandbox".
Best regards,
Mats with 9000+ objects of various correctness
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
This is probably too easy to suggest, but if you export the schedule to excel and sort by ID and have your correct excel and sort by ID, can't you just copy the correct values over with a simple copy paste?

I'm sorry, but this sort of caveman excel is what I'd do , so no help with an elegant automatic solution.

Or plan B: spellcheck your export and import it back?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
DGSketcher
Legend
If your schedule is as simple as ID & Name can't you have the schedule "group identical" items which should narrow down the misspelt names for correction?

I can see the value in data links e.g. ID points to a specification name / description, but VLOOKUP seems a bit overkill as a spell checker.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
DGSketcher wrote:
If your schedule is as simple as ID & Name can't you have the schedule "group identical" items which should narrow down the misspelt names for correction?

I can see the value in data links e.g. ID points to a specification name / description, but VLOOKUP seems a bit overkill as a spell checker.
that's what we do right now. it's four bog models and it's a matter of several days work to do it through the schedules....and it's the most boring work ever... 😉
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Learn and get certified!