Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

North Angle / Survey Point AC25

pedrocollares
Enthusiast

We've been having an issue regarding the new Survey Point tool in AC25.

In our workflow with other firms in projects we don't align the Y axis to the true north. We align Y axis to a direction which is more conveniently aligned to the site/building. (Although geographic north is configured under the settings panel, and shown correctly in floor plans and such)

When we use the new built-in Survey Point tool in order to correct position/rotation in our IFC/DWG's (In case coordination requests us), it ends up messing the north direction.

Why is the Y axis necessarily aligned to the North? Is is a mandatory in other coordination contexts? Because in fully orthogonal projects there's no benefit in having coordinates fixed to north.

If it was possible to alter Y axis of IFC and DWG export without messing up north it would solve us a lot of trouble.

Architect / BIM Manager at IDEIA1 - www.ideia1.com.br
Archicad 26 / Windows 10 64
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @pedrocollares ,

You said "Why is the Y axis necessarily aligned to the North?"

It is not true.

Y axis is like you want and linked to each view.

Be sure tu uncheck the option into your view parameters.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

When I export an IFC using the Survey Point, it aligns Y to the north in that IFC file. When I attempt to correct that in my model, aligning the survey point Y to the direction I want, it ends up altering the north direction in the project as well.

I can't reproduce this scenario. Could you be more explicit ?
Have you correctly configured the IFC export regarding geroreferencing?

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
pedrocollares
Enthusiast

(Sorry, long gap in the response)

I'll bring an example of a situation in which there's the mentioned issue.

Here's an IFC we generated from our model using the Project Origin (disregarding the survey point tool)

pedrocollares_1-1647208434087.png

Y axis (green) and X axis parallel to the construction itself. Geographic north (shown in blue) points to the corner. Those were also the guidelines we were following according to the BEP.

Due to a project fix workaround, we had to move the origin Z coordinate 0,86m downwards in an advanced stage of the design process. So we decided to use the Survey Point tool, placing it at the exact same point as the Project Origin, but adding the Z displacement. If we export using the survey point, this is what happens to the model orientation:

pedrocollares_2-1647208841927.png

It obligates me to have the model Y axis facing the Geographic North.

So what we ended up doing is messing up our Geographic north to match our former Y axis, so we can keep the model coordinates orientation untouched. Many flaws in doing such, for instance, any solar anlysis we create will be invalid.

I wonder why there is such obligation to match North and Y when we're using the Survey Point. Here in Brazil very often the BEP's specify the model origin and orientation based in what will put out a more solid and precise model to go to the site, and using a random angle which is the geographic north as Y generates many difficulties in the process.

Is it considered a coordination flaw to have Y not match the north angle?