BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Not being able to import the .3ds file into ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I made a particular 3d model in Rhino, and exported it as .3ds (9.5 MB in size)
I tried importing into both ArchiCAD 12 and 14 using the

Import 3d Studio file add-on, but it did not work. The conversion to .gsm seems to went well, but when I put that .gsm file into the floor plan, I am get nothing. Just a dot.
I used to have the same problem all these years, but mostly in cases when initial .3ds model has some curved shapes. But this one is different - it is mostly consisted of straight parts.

The second thing I tried to do is to export the model from Rhino as .skp (Sketchup file) and then import it into ArchiCAD 14.
Did not work - apparently the importing procedure ended by nothing was imported.

The same thing with .kmz (Google Earth) and .dwg

In the end I might try importing the .ifc, although I am currently looking for an export IFC plugin for Rhino.

Until I do that, any advices of why is this problem appearing?
Here is the .3ds file attached:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23181145/separacija2.rar

Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
The import does take a while. You get the dot until Archicad can generate the plan view. Usually.

Unless, as in your case, there's a problem with the code in line 2. You should have received a message during a 3D view generation.

So fickle Archicad dislikes your object code.

I was able to bring it thru via Cinema 4D that is more tolerant of irregularities but did not correct the axis. Only have Archi16 installed right now.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight,
Thank you for such a quick reply.

It may sound strange, but I did not get any error message when entering into the 3D view.

Could I ask you for a favor? Would you be so kind to attach the .gsm file? The one you succeeded importing into ArchiCAD 16? I guess the .gsm file from ArchiCAD 16 would work on ArchiCAD 14 too, right?

Here is the same .3ds file with corrected (z upwards) axis:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/23181376/separacija2a.rar

Thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
I have opened the file in Cinema and saved as 3DS. I converted it in Archicad to GSM as a test. I attach the saved 3DS file that should import into Archicad, renamed as "youowemebigtime" and have sent it to your email.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I do owe you !!!

So basically the Cinema4D "clears up" the original .3ds file, and then exports a somewhat more acceptable new .3ds file?

Is there some specific version of Cinema4D that is capable of doing this?
Or I might try some older versions (like r11, r10) as well?

Thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
All versions seem to work. It is my go-to method for difficult 3ds files into Archicad. You can also 'smooth' faces.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you once again.

The "smoothing" meshes part is completed automatically after exporting the new .3ds from Cinema4D?
Or it needs to be done manually inside of Cinema4D?
Dwight
Newcomer
You'll need to figure that manipulation out within Cinema - can't remember.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!