BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Off-topic: Japanese ideograms in computer

Didn't know where to ask this and figured somebody here might now: wiith Roman characters you write/type using combinations of 28 or whatever characters; how do they get the zillion Japanese ideograms from a keyboard?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very big keyboard?

Or like this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are three Japanese alphabets, one referred to as Hiragana, which is comprised of 45 characters which represent phoentetic sounds, and can be used to write any Japanese word, there is another alphabet, called Katakana which is the same number of symbols, and they represent the same sounds, but are used for writing foreign words. the alphabet with many characters (approx. 26,000) is called Kanji, these are the ideagrams you're referring to. Japanese people write with a combination of all 3 character sets, but all words can be formed with hiragana alone, thus their keyboards are made fromt he Hiragana characters, and their wordpressors will prompt (simlar to autocomplete in word) with the appropriate Kanji character for each word typed; so you can use the Kanji character it prompts with, or just leave it in Hiragana... I doubt you really wanted an answer that long, but I hope it puts your mind at ease

cheers,
Daniel

PS: I knew studying Japanese would come in handy someday.. good thing too, since I can't remember a single word.
Daniel wrote:
There are three Japanese alphabets

Heh that was a neat explanation. Thanks.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Daniel wrote:
There are three Japanese alphabets, one referred to as Hiragana, which is comprised of 45 characters which represent phoentetic sounds, and can be used to write any Japanese word, there is another alphabet, called Katakana which is the same number of symbols, and they represent the same sounds, but are used for writing foreign words. the alphabet with many characters (approx. 26,000) is called Kanji, these are the ideagrams you're referring to. Japanese people write with a combination of all 3 character sets, but all words can be formed with hiragana alone, thus their keyboards are made fromt he Hiragana characters, and their wordpressors will prompt (simlar to autocomplete in word) with the appropriate Kanji character for each word typed; so you can use the Kanji character it prompts with, or just leave it in Hiragana... I doubt you really wanted an answer that long, but I hope it puts your mind at ease

cheers,
Daniel

PS: I knew studying Japanese would come in handy someday.. good thing too, since I can't remember a single word.
Here is one... possibly...

Arigato.

I think that is Japanese
Means something like Good Day?
But I am not sure.
I can only count from 1 to 10 in Japanese.
We had to do that when I was doing Kyokushinkai karate 20 years ago.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
hehe it means thank you... remember the song? domou arigatou mr. roboto.

I really would like to go spend some time in Japan so I can pick the language back up.

sushi wo taberu koto ga suki desu, ne?
TomWaltz
Participant
Daniel wrote:
I didn't think you were old enough to remember that song!
Tom Waltz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Daniel wrote:
So the only Japanese word I know, I don't actually know the meaning of .
Should have kept my mouth shut.

The song, I don't know.
Or, I would if I heard it, but I do not from its lyrics.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
what.. can't you remember the music from when you were 1?
TomWaltz
Participant
laszlonagy wrote:
Daniel wrote:
So the only Japanese word I know, I don't actually know the meaning of .
Should have kept my mouth shut.

The song, I don't know.
Or, I would if I heard it, but I do not from its lyrics.
It's a Styx song. It's probably on iTunes.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!