Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

One Time Export to Revit 2021

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to convert an Archicad model into Revit 2021 and I was wondering without a Graphisoft Add In which isn't available yet for 2021, how can I acheive the best model possible? I'm not after bringing it back, I just want to save myself as much work as possible.
Thanks in advance.
ps I've downloaded a trial version of Archicad to facilitate this.
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You did not mention your Archicad version so I suppose you are using Archicad 24.
Download and install the RFA & RVT Geometry Exchange Add-On from the following web page:

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/rfa

If you are using AC21-23, the Add-On can be downloaded from:

https://bim6x.com/store

Then in Archicad, go to the 3D Viewpoint and use the Save As command, and the RVT file format will be available in the "Save as Type" field. The RVT file saved from Archicad 24 will be in Revit 2020 (in earlier Revit versions from earlier Archicad), which you can open in Revit 2021.
Revit will convert any earlier Revit version file to Revit 2021 format the first type it opens it and then it can only be saved as Revit 2021 version.

Another option is of course to export the Archicad 3D model to IFC format and open that in Revit 2021. Would be an interesting comparison to see which method converts the geometry and parameters better to Revit.

(It may be a good idea for you to specify your Archicad version and computer configuration in your signature so we can help you better.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
To send truly useful stuff to Revit, you need to use the IFC translators written for this purpose. The Structure and MEP translators work to send Archicad elements for arrival in Revit as proper Revit families.

You really do need the Revit Add-on as well.

Have a look at the extensive webinar series that Nando has produced on CentralInnovation's YouTube channel. Good information there.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Eli Chiasson
Booster
Hi Aaron,

I work in Halifax, I notice you're another Canadian user of Archicad on here. I'm starting a new project with a local M&E firm who is using Revit and very excited to figure out a model sharing workflow that eliminates as much duplication as possible. We did some test sharing yesterday and didn't get quite as far as we had hoped.

What I'm most interested in finding out is whether or not we can model the following (any or all) in Archicad and translate the same objects to Revit so we aren't modeling them twice:
1. Plumbing fixtures (toilets, sinks, showers, tubs)
2. Light fixtures
3. Rooms

Have you been able to figure out an IFC-exchange workflow with Revit that does this, or is the way we need to work one where M&E needs to match our locations but use their own objects/fixtures so that they can use Revit's sizing calculation tools?

Thanks,
Eli
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional
Hi Eli,

There is a workflow to be established between Revit and Archicad for the MEP portion. IFC at the Revit end sounds like it requires more user input for Classifications and Properties that what comes straight out of the box. I'm not sure what the scale of projects are. Here, we do a lot of high rise residential and are finally starting to work with BIM savvy MEP Reviteers.

Graphisoft should come in here to verify that a properly formed Revit-exported MEP model will translate to AC native MEP objects and assemblies. And, if that is the case, what a collaborative process looks like.

We should keep this thread as an open discussion as long as possible before going to Direct Messages. All input would be welcome.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Eli Chiasson
Booster
Hi Aaron,

Our work is 10-20 story multi-use residential, so similar. What is the file exchange workflow like with your Revit MEP designers? Are you both keeping all elements your own and using reference models to coordinate, or are there some elements you're able to integrate into each others' models?
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional
To date, the sharing hasn't happened - there were some limitations in the first release of 24 that may pr may not have been addressed for round trip work.

If this were up and running, it might allow us to suggest ducting re-routes as an example.

Currently we provide IFC files to an all Revot team for construction coordination. We're trying to see if we could do more of that during the final coordination stages of documentation. That will happen. Someday.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1