BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Open Office and Archicad.

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I'm trying to import in OO saved Excel file to Plotmaker, I get an error info. When I'm trying to open the same file in Excel everything is ok. Is there any possibility to import native OO files into AC or PM ? I'm don't need to buy full MS Office to create Light&Vent small table. I want to install on each computer OO to create those tables. I think that so many people use OO that it should be supported by GS. What do you think? Excel is not the only spreadsheet editor in the world.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree. Many CAD operators have only occasional need for Word or Excel. It's tough to pay the cost to put a copy on everyone's machine and MS makes the network license deal too complicated (it also seems to keep changing). Besides the less we have to spend on M$ products the easier it is to pay for ArchiCAD upgrades and add-ons 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
I think that so many people use OO that it should be supported by GS.
As OpenOffice.org files are zipped XML files, supporting this kind of import shouldn't be too difficult to setup...

As we are at it, it would be great if PM could link to sections from external Writer (OOo word equivalent) files...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I agree. Many CAD operators have only occasional need for Word or Excel. It's tough to pay the cost to put a copy on everyone's machine...
Beside the licensing cost, I can tell you from my experience that Writer is much more robust than Word and has many powerful functions that allowed us to drop completely Word. If Calc could evolve a bit, it would be a good solution to replace Excel, but if you don't use pivot tables, go for it !
TomWaltz
Participant
My only complaint is that at this point, OpenOffice only runs in X11 for Mac, which makes it open a bit slow, and doesn't really integrate with the Aqua/Cocoa system very well.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!