BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Opening DWG-files makes ArchiCAD crash

Tendenz
Participant
I'm having problems with ArchiCAD crashing when I try to open DWG files. My iOS is up to date, and I've tried several DWG files, so the problem is not a corrupt file. Could this just be an AutoCAD 2017 - AC21 issue?

Any was of opening the files in a different way? It's making my job very hard...
iMac OS X 11.6

2,3 GHz Intel Core i9, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

ArchiCAD 25
8 REPLIES 8
Tendenz
Participant
Oh. And I've had the problem for about 2 months, tried reinstalling ArchiCAD, and I've had the same problem on two different iMacs.
iMac OS X 11.6

ArchiCAD 25
Barry Kelly
I am not sure if AC21 can open an Autocad 2017 file.
The file format may be too new.
Save the DWG in an older format (you can get a free converter if you need to (DWGTrueview is one).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tendenz
Participant
Thanks! I'll try the converter, I don't have one. Weird how Graphisoft support couldn't help me with this...
iMac OS X 11.6

ArchiCAD 25
Barry Kelly
Tendenz wrote:
Thanks! I'll try the converter, I don't have one. Weird how Graphisoft support couldn't help me with this...
I might not have helped you either.
I am just assuming that AC21 was released mid 2017 so its format would have been locked in much earlier.
So it might not have included the then latest 2017 DWG format.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tendenz
Participant
Uhm. I have Mac, so I can't use TrueView. AutoCAD claims I can choose DWG format when using the online AutoDesk, but I can't.

Anyone got a suggestion for a version converter for Mac?
iMac OS X 11.6

ArchiCAD 25
Tendenz
Participant
Found a converter. Tried saving as 2013 version, but ArchiCAD still crashes. No one else experiencing this??
iMac OS X 11.6

ArchiCAD 25
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Try to convert to 2010 or earlier, if it's just linework? Don't really see any 'progress' in displaying lines since AutoCAD14 or whatever?

Maybe someone included a very linework heavy block? I once had a file from a city planner who loved to use a tree symbol made up of hundreds of lines and planted hundreds of that tree. ArchiCAD did not like that file, it would open but it slowed everything to a crawl.

Or is it a 3D file? I once got sent all of Benidorm Spain region (in 3D surveyor lines) in some 300 MB or more file that I couldn't open in anything really due to the amount of data / 3D information to process.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Any chance you are using the Build 6000 preview update for AC21, which came out almost exactly 2 months ago? There is a problem with the DWG converter there. If you revert back to the 5021 build, it should work okay.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Learn and get certified!