Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Paramaters and Expressions - Simple Multiplication

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone!

I am new posting here so I do apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Here is my problem: I wish to obtain the product that results from the multiplication of the inside surface area of a wall with a cost for a construction material defined for that wall as seen below:

For this I created 2 properties: the "Area" where I wrote the expression; and "Preço M²" where I define the price of said material.

After writing the expression it came up with no errors and so I assumed that it would show the result in the schedule I made but it doesn't, as seen below:

I need some help to try and figure out the issue.

Thanks for the help in advance!

P.S.
If anyone can point me to any decent learning material on expressions in Archicad I would be very greatful!
2 REPLIES 2
Hello Michael,

You can see these movies to begin :

What kind of property is your expression ?
What classification is intended for your property?
What is the classification of items in your schedule?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Michael,

I am not completely sure about this and I have not tried it, but I think it is not possible to perform such mathematical operations on values that are not simple numeric values but values with a unit of measurement (like Length, Area, Volume type of data). So I would first try to convert them to the "Number" Data Type using the "STRTONUM" Data Conversion function, and then try to perform those multiplications.

Or, maybe another option would be to create a new Property with the Data Type "Area", and with a constant value of "1 m2". Then divide the Area value with this value because I think you can divide an Area value by another Area value, and the result will be a Number value. Then you can multiply the result with the price/m2 value.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27