Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Partly solved. It's AC space contaiment... Stories ambiguity in IFC

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Hi,

I have a model that is making fun of me when exporting to IFC. There is the Archicad building storey which I have control over and then there's a derived IFC building storey which I'm not in control over. When I select one story in an IFC-viewer I see the slabs from that story AND from the story above and sometimes below. How can this be? I'm too tired/dumb to figure this out.

Br,

Mats

I ticked Space containment in the IFC-translator which I think caused the problem. Don't know why it mixes up  things though...

STORIES AMBIGUITY.png
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9 REPLIES 9

I guess there's more to it but from the image it looks OK as you have objects showing on both PLAN 10 and PLAN 11. So to give a chance to understand the issue you would have to hide all on PLAN 11 and then show the location data for the object.

I'm closing in on the problem and I guess it's not in Archicad but rather Simplebim where I must be doing something wrong with one of the templates.

AC 25 SWE Full

Miha_M
Advisor

Hi Mats! Any chance that the upper slab is part of the plan 10 story in Archicad?

I tried to recreate this with 3 slabs, where 2 of them are part of the lowest story and one is on third story. The result seems to replicate your situation.

Miha_M_0-1649751005949.png

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Hi Miha.

All well?

I've narrowed down the issue to space containment in the ifc translator. Not sure why but when one category of zones is exported with the ifc it confuses the containment. I'm testing right now but it's a slow process saving ifc....

AC 25 SWE Full

It could also be that the zone volume stretches into the slab volume. 

Data Conversion for IFC Export (Graphisoft.com)

"A Slab is in space containment if its reference line falls within the Zone top/bottom, and if the Slab polygon falls within the Zone polygon."

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

yes it's what I'm testing now but it's kind of a slow process. We have several overlapping zones (I know...) and I don't know which ones that trigger space containment. Reason for heavy overlapping zones is that we have regular room zones, zones for breaking up the model (location prisms in Simplebim) according to the builders wishes (it's a 5D-project), gross area zones etc.

AC 25 SWE Full

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Now it's working. I need to investigate space containment a litle more for the future.

AC 25 SWE Full

Overlapping zones are trouble. Do you sort your overlapping zone types into different layers with different intersection priorities or use renovation filters for  separating them?

| Archicad 4.55 - 27