Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Plumbing fixtures changing shape and configuration during dwg out conversion

rm
Expert
We saving out dwg backgrounds for our PME consultants. The toilets and sinks are changing shape and in some cases quantities as we save out to dwg.

I have attached sample screen shots of the pln file configuration (dark grey walls) and the dwg file (orange outline on light grey walls).

Wondering if there is some settings in the plumbing objects that can prevent the changes when out put to dwg or is this a possible bug.

We are having no problems with doors, windows or walls on the dwg output.

Any insight appreciated.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions! I have entered them under wish IDEA-4227.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
rm
Expert
We tested the same issue with a new default AC24 file using the "00 DWG for Dummies" translator and had the same problem. We then tested this issue in a brand new AC25 file, again we with the same translator, we could duplicate the problem.

On a guess, we decided to test the "01 For further editing" translator. The problem corrected itself.

I'm not sure if certain AC libraries don't play nice with default "00 DWG for Dummies" translator or the translator itself has a problem. Even though we have always used "00 DWG for Dummies" translator, we have never seen this problem up to AC23. But for some reason, it has popped up in AC24 and AC25.

Hope that can help someone else if the issue pops up on your end.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Based on your description I would say it is definitely something in the Translator Settings that is causing this.
My first tip would be that the two Translators may not save to the same AutoCAD version.
Unfortunately, I do not have the USA version installed, and the INT version does not have this DUMMY Translator by default.
But I will forward this to GS HQ and let them figure it out.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rm
Expert
LaszloNagy wrote:
Based on your description I would say it is definitely something in the Translator Settings that is causing this.
My first tip would be that the two Translators may not save to the same AutoCAD version.
Unfortunately, I do not have the USA version installed, and the INT version does not have this DUMMY Translator by default.
But I will forward this to GS HQ and let them figure it out.
This had us scratching our heads. Thanks for forwarding it to GS. Given you don't have the US version, I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for the question!

After comparing the translators (00 DWG for Dummies and others), I realized that the option Convert all instances of a library part to a single DWG block has been activated under Custom Functions > Save Extras > Reduce number of created block section. Its description says:

Use this option to create fewer blocks, by converting all instances of a particular library part into a single DWG block. The resulting block will use the ARCHICAD object’s default parameters. Customized object parameters are therefore lost.
Exception: Annotation elements, labels, windows, doors and construction elements are not affected by this option. All instances of such library parts are exported separately.
This is why, with this option activated by default for DWG for Dummies translator, the objects will be exported to DWG using their default parameters from Archicad.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything unclear, feel free to let me know!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: in both AC23 and AC25, I found this option activated by default for this translator, so I'm wondering at which point do you notice the issue?

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
Minh -

Thanks for the very clear explanation as to what is happening with the "DWG for Dummies" Translator. I believe we only noticed this behavior in AC 24, vs AC 23, because we were making changes from default settings on several bathroom fixtures. I looked at our AC 23 projects and we were not doing that.

That said, I would suggest a changes in that particular translator
1. Calling it "DWG for Dummies" is somewhat degrading. I'm rarely taken back by names, but this one seems like an odd choice. Perhaps "DWG Fundamental or Basic" might be a better choice.....just a thought.
2. It really does not make sense to me to have a translator change any library part parameters. As an example, like the images I uploaded, If we placed (1) sink, surely we don't want (3) showing up. That just makes no sense at all. And if not caught, could cause costly field errors or confusion with consultants, not to mention simple embarrassment.

Again, thank you for looking into this issue and offering a solution. You are always helpful in your replies!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions! I have entered them under wish IDEA-4227.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT