BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Point Cloud to Archicad on its real X-Y coordinate?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
The scanner folks have their cloud in the correct X,Y coordinate but I don't know how to import the cloud so it shows up on the right place.
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As far as I know you can either place point cloud with its origin to your origin or specify on screen where you would place its origin.

So if you know the real world coordinates of the point cloud (ask the company that made the scan) you can then place something like a hotspot or survey point object at this coordinate in your model. If you then place the point cloud by specifying the place, you just need to click on that spot.

That leaves north direction, so you will have to rotate it after placing.

Edit:
Actually if they can specify 2 or 3 points and you can identify them as a snap point in the point cloud you would be able to get north direction correct too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you import the Point Cloud, an Object will be generated from it.
Then you can move the Object to wherever you want to.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I believe it is more about relating it to the real world coordinates.

The origin of floor plan (0,0,0) relates to the latitude and longitude set up in Project Location.

Just need to set the North direction after that.

Not sure how pointcloud import goes about this, but I would assume there is a known survey point somewhere, you will need to place this in your drawing too and use that as the anchor point for everything.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Previously I've done it manually as Lazlo suggests but this time we asked the scanners to place the cloud according to the project origin (the same origin we use with dwg and IFC for the coordination). Didn't really think ahead thus didn't realize there is no (?) way of placing the cloud intelligently...!?
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As far as I know you can either place point cloud with its origin to your origin or specify on screen where you would place its origin.

So if you know the real world coordinates of the point cloud (ask the company that made the scan) you can then place something like a hotspot or survey point object at this coordinate in your model. If you then place the point cloud by specifying the place, you just need to click on that spot.

Edit:
Actually if they can specify 2 or 3 points and you can identify them as a snap point in the point cloud you would be able to get north direction correct too.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Erwin wrote:

Edit:
It's ok with the national coordinates and the corresponding dwg. I can then move it to the project origin by using the dwg.
AC 25 SWE Full

Learn and get certified!