Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Problem: Values in expressions multiplied by quantity in schedules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!
I'm struggling with this problem.
I've created schedules of construction elements (beams and columns) where I'm listing their lengths and heights.
I needed rounded up values with some reserve. For this, I'm using expression MROUNDUP. For single elements everything works like a charm, but problem appears with multiple elements of the same length.
I've got this schedule where all elements are listed and "merge uniform" option is "on" and in this case, the property I made is useless - values from expression are multiplied by number of elements.
To be sure, I made column with property containing expression of just the beam length and it also shows beam length multiplied by the number of beams with the same length.
My question is, why values based on expressions listed in schedules are working differently from those listed directly in schedules? Is there any workaround? I was thinking of dividing the result by number of elements, but this number is specific for schedule and cannot be used in expressions...
7 REPLIES 7
Podolsky
Ace
Scheduling is not so advanced tool and this is why similar problems appear. Try to solve it differently - don't round up the values with property for example. Use calculation rules and units settings instead.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
Scheduling is not so advanced tool and this is why similar problems appear. Try to solve it differently - don't round up the values with property for example. Use calculation rules and units settings instead.
This is not a solution for what I’m trying to achieve and will produce more problems in other schedules, but thanks.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Length type Properties will be added in Schedules when the "Merge Items" checkbox is checked.
Number type Properties will not be added when the "Merge Items" checkbox is checked.

So, the solution is to create a Number type Property instead of a Length type Property.
There is a pretty elegant solution to convert a Length type Property to a Number type Property.
Let us say you want to convert the "3D Length" Property. It would look like this (in the case of a Metric system):

3D Length / 1 m
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
3D Length / 1 m
Brilliant. Although using 3d length creates the same, multiplying problem with "merge items" option checked. I'm using "MAX" of left and right side length (for beams) and "max height" for columns.
Side question: is there any way to control displayed accuracy for number parameter?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the only way to control the exact decimal places of value is if you convert them to string type of Property and then use text manipulation commands to achieve the desired decimal places display.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm... but then I loose possibility to sum up values.
Expression based properties in schedules definitely need tweaking.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, it has its limitations, such as the one you mentioned.
I think the best solution would be to be able to optionally define the formatting and accuracy on a Schedule Field level in the Scheme Settings Dialog (or use the settings coming from Calculation Settings preferences).