Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Problems using .dwg file exported from ARCHICAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
A client exported from his architecturals from ARCHICAD to .dwg for me to work on the structure and electricals. I've attached shots of two separate floors which look good and well when separated. The moment I try to copy/paste one into the other I get the madness in the 3rd shot. I'm assuming this has something to do with object/block attributes from ARCHICAD having different definitions in the different files, but I can't seem to resolve it. If I explode (repeatedly) and purge, then everything goes even more crazy and it looks like Dali did the drawing. I really need to figure out this issue because as of now I'm wasting hours trying to deal with this. Is there a way to ask my client to export as simple lines, not objects? I need to see lines and hatching and doors as just that, lines, not objects that get all wonky when I need to trim them or change lineweights. I can also attach screenshots of my clients export settings if that helps anyone see something that might improve the situation.
1 REPLY 1
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I don't think you client can export it any different if they use AutoCAD, but I am not even 100% sure why this might be happening based on the pdf.

It will probably come down to the DWG Translator settings though. When you open/import/merge DWG files into ARCHICAD, you always have to choose a Translator. This Translator defines what to do with native AutoCAD elements (such as hatches and groups). If you open a translator, and set the "Translate AutoCAD Blocks as:" option to "2D Elements" in the "Open Options", that should probably give you what you are looking for.

If that doesn't help, please send me the DWG and the PLN you are working with (with the problematic results), and I will take a look at what might be the problem. You can send them to me in a private message.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit