Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Problems with SketchUp Add-On

Anonymous
Not applicable
I downloaded your SketchUp Add-On for ArchiCAD and it will not install.

When it gets to the Folder Installation Page, the Installation Folder defaults to "/Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 9" and the Application Folder defaults to "". When I add a Application Folder name, I keep getting the Error Message titled: Destination Directory, stating "Please specify a directory name."

One thing I noticed is that your installation program is writing out the file directory in Windows format instead of Mac format, meaning when I redirect the file, it writes "/Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 9" instead of "Applications:Graphisoft:ArchiCAD 9". This could be the source of my problem, but I do not have an option to write in the correct directory.

What am I doing wrong? Everything I try gives me the same message and will not allow me to go further in the installation process.

I am using an iMac G5 on 10.4.5 operating system. I also have MaxonForm added to AC.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Or does anyone know how I can get this installed. Both programs are very important to me, so this Add-On has been greatly anticipated... only to have it not install!

Picture.jpg
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
The window indicates "zero free disc space". Could that be the problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw that too. However, if you look at my Finder bar behind the Graphisoft green window, you can see that I have "90.67 GB available". My hard drive properties say the same thing.
TomWaltz
Participant
SmileyMan wrote:
I saw that too. However, if you look at my Finder bar behind the Graphisoft green window, you can see that I have "90.67 GB available". My hard drive properties say the same thing.
do you have administrator rights on your machine? You may not have the permissions needed to install software in that directory.

Also, you do have the Mac version, right? Not the Windows one?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, got Admin Rights
and got the Mac version.

One thing I noticed is that the folder separation in the program is a slash "/" as separated in windows, NOT a colon ":" as Macs normally separate folders. You can see that once I created the Application folder "sketchup", the program correctly set the file structure as "....Add-Ons:sketchup", but did not correct the previous portion.

???
TomWaltz
Participant
SmileyMan wrote:
Yep, got Admin Rights
and got the Mac version.

One thing I noticed is that the folder separation in the program is a slash "/" as separated in windows, NOT a colon ":" as Macs normally separate folders. You can see that once I created the Application folder "sketchup", the program correctly set the file structure as "....Add-Ons:sketchup", but did not correct the previous portion.

???
I wondered about that but could not figure out where it came from.

Maybe it expects to just go in /Addons/?
Tom Waltz
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear SmileyMan,

You do not need to modify the installation folders manually. The installer should automatically find your ArchiCAD on your computer and install the Add-on correctly.
However you can also set the paths manually.
Installation folder: /Applications/Graphisoft
Application folder: ArchiCAD 9

Then it will install the files for the SketchUp Add-on into a folder called SketchUp into the Add-ons folder.

We will write an explanation onto this page of the installer next time we update the Add-on.

Regards,
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Anonymous
Not applicable
To Everyone:

I finally got the problem fixed. A Graphisoft Tech here in the US figured out that the SketchUp Add-On will not install on the new MacTel computers. The MacTel computers run the OSX software differently than the normal G5's.

His solution was creating an .sitx file for me of all the files. I downloaded them and placed them myself in the Add-On folder. That worked!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
Djordje
Ace
SmileyMan wrote:
To Everyone:

I finally got the problem fixed. A Graphisoft Tech here in the US figured out that the SketchUp Add-On will not install on the new MacTel computers. The MacTel computers run the OSX software differently than the normal G5's.

His solution was creating an .sitx file for me of all the files. I downloaded them and placed them myself in the Add-On folder. That worked!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
Therefore, ALWAYS include in your signature your hardware and OS description ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a different problem with the SketchUp add-on. It seems to install just fine, but when I try to open or merge a SketchUp file they are not available in the file open dialog. I have looked with no success for the documentation mentioned in the read-me file. I have tried saving back to versions 4 & 3 of SketchUp to no avail.

Is there some other way to do this? (Presumably described in the docs I can't find.)

...new wrinkle...

The file was created on a PC. Though I opened and saved to the desktop of my Mac, ArchiCAD on the Mac would not offer to open the file. I then created a test file (SKP) on the Mac which opened just fine in AC. So now the question is whether this is a cross platform problem with the add-on or some obscure file permissions issue. Any thoughts out there?

...and more...

The model from the original file copied and pasted into the test file also works fine. I'm feeling this is looking more like some weird file permissions problem.