BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Property called “COBie.type”

fuzzytnth3
Booster
I have exported IFC Models of an Office Building and I am trying to use Solibri’s COBie extension to output the COBie spreadsheets but it is listing everything in the IFC file as being “unclassified” as it has a rule looking for a Property called “COBie.type” and whether it is set to “True” or “False”.

To export the IFC model I have used the “COBie2 Template with Uniclass 2015 for AC22” and followed the Graphisoft Workflow Guide (as best as my brain will allow that is) and the Solibri COBie extension and Roles are loaded as per Solibri’s instructions.

I cannot find the “COBie.type” property listed either in the Property Mapping in ArchiCAD or when just trying to apply it to an element. Am I missing it somewhere? I thought the translator was setup to export only COBie related data and to ignore as shown on Page 56 of the Workflow Guide those elements not applicable to COBie, so the translator then exports the data based on how we have classified the element?

I am trying to follow Solibri’s instructions as the Graphisoft Workflow advises but I am stuck at Step Two of Solibri's instructions because it seems the Property called “COBie.type” is missing from the exported IFC.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
2 REPLIES 2
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Our workflow guide was written in a way that would surely include every necessary information for a COBie table in the model, and in the end we explain how you can quickly and easily export the data into a COBie spreadsheet using the free COBie Toolkit application (by BuildingSmart).

Getting a COBie table out of the model with other applications (such as Solibri), is definitely possible since the data is there, but it is up to the application how to do that, and whether it can be done out-of-the-box. It is my understanding, that you can actually do this with Solibri, but they don't have a template yet that would be able to do it without prior manual setup.

The Solibri workflow guide you mentioned is explaining this workflow with Revit models, not with ARCHICAD. While the workflow is probably very similar, we don't have a "COBie.type" property (that must be a Revit thing).

Please contact your local Solibri reseller for help about how to set up your Solibri Custom Classification environment to be able to export the proper COBie sheets, they would surely be able to help you!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Nader Belal
Mentor
@fuzzytnth3

I'm going to explain it as simple as possible for that anyone who is starting this would get the idea, and not just for you.

As my friend @daviddelven likes to explain it, COBie is an information aggregator in an organised manner, using spread sheets, so that project's elements' information can be easily importer/exporter to different programs and databases.

So for correct data transmission for any project there are many aspects that are to be considered, spaces, structures, MEP, and etc, that there relations are mostly defined by the user (beside those that are automatically defined by the BIM Platform depending on each case specifics)

Now to the part I do get it quiet well, and that is about products and GDL objects, for those cases there is no COBie Type per se, as you may have understood it, infact CObie Type can be explained as the short form of saying "COBie Information about Types", so you include the needed information about Type 1, Type 2 and so on.

If you need to deepen your understanding you should ask @daviddelven
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Learn and get certified!