Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Quantity takeoff and model fidelity

afaria
Participant
Hi everyone,

I am trying to answer some of the questions of my team regarding information take-off, specially all that is related to walls and façade.

Regarding inside walls and partitions it all comes down to the fidelity to the real construction, meaning using or not exaustively all the different composites needed.
To model all the different pieces needed sounds really slow and incovenient. It means asking the team to cut walls everywhere and change composite strucutre. The best I can imagine is to use the most commum composite and then cut and replace just by changing the composite on the drop down list, but i still find this not "draftsmen friendly".

Another question I often ask myself is if we should model wall ceramic tiles completely separeted.

Obviously this has implications on the quality of the model for a BIM collaboration.

I would appreciate your thoughts and also any resources you would recomend to study.

(on a side note: really unhappy to find out I missed the migration period of my account. It should have been done by defaut.)

image.png
4 REPLIES 4
Rico
Booster

This might help: http://www.shoegnome.com/2015/12/17/control-joints-strong-air-Archicad/

It shows how to use columns to create voids, minimising the amount of different wall elements you need.

iMac 27" 5K • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina • 40GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 5004 FRA
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X • Windows 10 • 64GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 Solo UKI
Barry Kelly

To get accurate quantities, you have to model it as it is build.

In your image, there should be no lining inside that void.

So it means you have to split the wall and swap that part for a composite with no lining.

Sometimes it is quicker to do that rather than placing separate pieces of wall.

You will need to figure out what is the best/fastest/easiest way for you.

But it needs to be modelled as accurately as possible.

I add my tiling separately as an object, but it means you have to work around doors, windows, openings, etc.

You can use a complex profile wall with a tile skin that has modifiers to allow you to adjust the height and/or thickness of the tiles.

Zero height or thickness and there will be no tiling.

You might need to use 'surface' schedules rather than 'component' schedules for calculating the surface areas.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you. It's the thecnique sometimes we use for the empty space between slabs and ceiling to cut out the two layers of cardboard. 

Thank you Barry. 

The surface method would just require to cut the walls and paint the surfaces we want to measure. I suppose that's what you are mentioning? 

At the end of the day I guess there is no real easy work-around but to model correctly, which is expected. Sometimes is just hard to push people, especially coming from 2D cad packages to manage all the different walls and their proper connections. 

If there is any other resource about modeling techniques/workfloes, that you find exceptional please let me know. I would appreciate it.

Thank you.