BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Question about "Save as... > previous Archicad version"

Agnes Gaschitz
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

I'd like to ask you about your "Save as... > previous Archicad version" workflow.
Could you please share some examples in case you need this action?
What kind of difficulties do you face during the process? E.g.: Issues during save back and forth, lack of information, Library difficulties, Teamwork problems, etc.

Any input is well appreciated!

Regards,
Agi

Saving from AC24 to AC23 - Options

Saving from AC24 to AC23 - Warning
15 REPLIES 15
DGSketcher
Legend
LaszloNagy wrote:
Here is one use case I saw:
I just have an idea or suggestion. When saving to the previous version, it would be great to have a checkbox "Save elements that would be deleted to Morphs". This way, any geometry or elements not present in the previous version would be converted to Morphs, which would convert back to the previous version.
Also, any library part existing only in the latest version would be converted to Morph.
This way no geometry would be lost. Of course, parameters would be lost, but the geometry at least would be there.
You would still potentially be faced with annotation losses, but a very good idea. I would reinforce it with a Graphic Override that highlights the changed elements the same way as missing textures or inverted elements are highlighted. At least then you might be able to find the changes rather than the fairly anonymous reporting we get in the Check & Repair process.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Then you could convert all Dimension Points associated with converted elements to static so they would not be lost when saved to a previous version.
Also, probably Texts and Labels displaying info about converted elements should be made static so no info would be lost.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
DGSketcher wrote:
LaszloNagy wrote:
Here is one use case I saw:
I just have an idea or suggestion. When saving to the previous version, it would be great to have a checkbox "Save elements that would be deleted to Morphs". This way, any geometry or elements not present in the previous version would be converted to Morphs, which would convert back to the previous version.
Also, any library part existing only in the latest version would be converted to Morph.
This way no geometry would be lost. Of course, parameters would be lost, but the geometry at least would be there.
You would still potentially be faced with annotation losses, but a very good idea. I would reinforce it with a Graphic Override that highlights the changed elements the same way as missing textures or inverted elements are highlighted. At least then you might be able to find the changes rather than the fairly anonymous reporting we get in the Check & Repair process.
Great idea! Please make a wish topic, Laszlo 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
Meanwhile as a workaround you can export as IFC the missing elements and linked them into the previous version.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Karl wrote:
Great idea! Please make a wish topic, Laszlo 🙂

Here is the wish:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=73987
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy