Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Recomended Antivirus software for a PC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone recommend a virus protection software for a PC? I am tending to steer away from Norton because of some slow down issues I had seen on an older machine. Spending most of my time on Macs has kept me out of the loop. Thanks for any advice
18 REPLIES 18
LiHigh
Newcomer
See for yourself: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?

BTW, I use NOD32.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't Open Unknown Atttachments and do not use MS Outlook as your E-mail Software.

Also use a Firewall or better yet a Router for your Network Connection.
Gorazd
Booster
We had some problems with Panda Antivirus (accessing network). Now we use Bit Defender. Every day at least ten infected mails comes into my inbox and it handles them as it should. Also router and a firewall should be in place and yes, no IE or Outlook.
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I also heard very good things about NOD32.
Seems like it is MUCH faster than Norton for example, when it comes to scanning for viruses.
Also, it has been rated 100% by Virus Security Bulletin (or something - it comes out every 2 months, I think) more than 30 times. This means that it catches all viruses, even those that are not yet in its virus database, because it uses heuristic processes, which are so good no virus can get through them. Pretty impressive.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Definitely NOD32.
It uses a tiny amount of your system resources, picks up everything you can throw at it, and is very inotrusive. It just does its thing and only ever confronts you with a scary dialog box if it really needs your approval for something.
In addition to that, you will need sygate personal firewall to protect your computer. It is also very inobtrusive and powerful(a bit ugly though).
Better than that would be a hardware firewall, but if you don't want to fork out for it, sygate is the best software solution.
Along with those 2, you will want to scan your computer with Ad-Aware about once a week(dont go near windows defender with a long pole).
All you Mac users out there that are chuckling about this, adware and viruses are starting to become more common for Macs as well to wipe that smug look off your face.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
LiHigh
Newcomer
henrypootel wrote:
Definitely NOD32.
It uses a tiny amount of your system resources, picks up everything you can throw at it, and is very inotrusive. It just does its thing and only ever confronts you with a scary dialog box if it really needs your approval for something.
In addition to that, you will need sygate personal firewall to protect your computer. It is also very inobtrusive and powerful(a bit ugly though).
Better than that would be a hardware firewall, but if you don't want to fork out for it, sygate is the best software solution.
Along with those 2, you will want to scan your computer with Ad-Aware about once a week(dont go near windows defender with a long pole).
All you Mac users out there that are chuckling about this, adware and viruses are starting to become more common for Macs as well to wipe that smug look off your face.
I thought I'm the rare species..........
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
TomWaltz
Participant
henrypootel wrote:
Starting to become more common? There are still ZERO viruses in the wild, and only one in the lab (that if I recall was not sreadable via internet).... is that really an increase?
Tom Waltz
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
check out: http://www.securemac.com/
Say hello OSX Leap/oompa!
compared to none at all, 1 virus is a lot. Also, be sure to check out the plethora of security holes in OSX.
Not to mention the virus that comes pre-installed with all new macs called iTunes(yuk).
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
TomWaltz
Participant
henrypootel wrote:
check out: http://www.securemac.com/
Say hello OSX Leap/oompa!
compared to none at all, 1 virus is a lot. Also, be sure to check out the plethora of security holes in OSX.
Not to mention the virus that comes pre-installed with all new macs called iTunes(yuk).
I'm surprised I hadn't heard anything about the iChat worm. The last one I heard was a proof-of-concept thing that some lab came up with.

oh yeah, there are security holes all over the place, most of them in Safari (one of MANY reasons that I use Firefox instead).

What's so bad about iTunes?
Tom Waltz