BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Relink all elements to auto home story

Paul King
Advisor
Hi - After importing IFCs created on two different platforms that do not use stories (Tekla, and Bentley), how do I get all imported elements to automatically reassign themselves to the nearest appropriate ArchiCAD story according to elevation?

Currently, on a 7 story project, engineers data is importing with all elements mapped to only one or two stories, even though the elevation of each element imported is correct

The result is that floor plans show the wrong things, or nothing at all, depending what story you attempt to view

No process I can come up with is successful in globally filtering/selecting elements by elevation for remapping to a new story;

Not all elements are visible from a given plan view, so no global filtering seems to be possible in plan

meanwhile, 'Find and Select' does not work in the 3D window for filtering elements according to heights in relation to 'current story', Presumably, current story is deemed to have no meaning in 3D? Don't want to have to manually type in absolute elevations to filter by, story by story - too slow and error prone. This approach certainly no good for a 50 story building!

The 'Filter and Cut Elements in 3D' command only allows filtering by elements already mapped to correct given story - so no applicable solution there.

Need a solution that is very quick and fool proof, that can be used every time updated an IFC comes through, for a building of any number of stories, without lots of manual drudgery and associated risk of typos each time etc
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Paul,
What I have done when importing steel shop drawings (from Tekla) back into my model is to select everything make visible on all relevant stories and have visibility set to projected to within storey range.
This has worked for me reasonabky well with no need to change stories etc

Scott
Paul King
Advisor
sboydturner wrote:
Paul,
What I have done when importing steel shop drawings (from Tekla) back into my model is to select everything make visible on all relevant stories and have visibility set to projected to within storey range.
This has worked for me reasonabky well with no need to change stories etc

Scott
Thanks Scott

Tekla elements are coming in as a combination of library objects, columns and beams - of those, only columns and beams seem to offer a 'projected to within storey range' setting. Most of the imported elements are library objects however. These are what mostly mess up my plans

In my case, to further complicate things, diagonal braces are represented by library objects which tend to have geometry within a given story, but automatically generated upper and lower selection nodes well beyond the maximum extents of visible geometry - so that these stray into stories above and below the one then need to appear on
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Paul,
I forgot about that, I exploded all the library parts to morphs because of that issue
Scitt
Learn and get certified!