Collaborate forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!Restored: Architerra

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone explain what the points are in architerra. I am considering buying it. I want to be able to generate a report or list of distance and bearing from the origin or other point. This list would then be sent to our total station to use as construction staking info. Very useful! I know there are other software packages that can take select layers from a DWG and extract points for this purpose. I would much rather directly do it in AC if possible. What are the Architerra "Points"?Can I get a list of xyz data from them?
17 REPLIES 17

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Flamer,

the points, in ArchiTerra, are the “base” from which you start to build the terrain.
They can come from DXF or TXT import, they can be manually inserted or they can be a result of a transformation of an ArchiCAD polyline into ArchiTerra contour line.
Usually, in the topographic survey scenario, the main trouble is the opposite (in respect of what you are looking for): you need to import 3D surveyed point into the ArchiCAD Plan, so you have a list of points and you want to get a 3D model.
ArchiTerra doesn’t address what you are asking for: the issue to export already placed point.
I suppose you can solve the trouble (I’m not saying it should be the best solution!) with a special point “object” (similar to that one provided with the first version of ArchiTerra, if you want you can get it by downloading ArchiTerra 1.8 from www.cigraph-store.com) that has, as component, the 3D coordinate of the insertion point then you can use the ArchiCAD listing feature to produce the list you are looking for. But, in this case, you cannot get distances… maybe you can do this with another object…

Hoping this will help you,
Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati

Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy |

phone: +39 041 8943500 | Skype: fabrizio.diodati |

email: fdiodati@graphisoft.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm typing this for the second time tonight! the first copy failed to post. I forgot to thank Fabrizio for the reply. Thanks. I got Architerra last week and couldn't help my self, I also ordered Archiforma today! Thanks for the great products!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently purchased AT. In the road longitudinal profile window it gives all dimensions in inches. Am I missing something or is this the only way?
I can't figure out why some one would want to see the dims in inches. Please and thank you.

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It follows the settings from the Option/Preferences/Calculation Units dialog box.
Change it as you prefer and rebuild & regenerate the Road Section window in order to update the dimensions.

friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabrizio Diodati,
I am trying to create a site model of a subdivision. I tried creating the model using ArchiCAD's Mesh tool. Unfortunately, the resulting mesh could barely be manipulated in ArchiCAD. The only time I tried rendering it I had to leave it to render after I left work for the day so I don't know how long it takes to render. What I do know it that the model is unwieldy and too big to use for views from and to the house that we are working on.

Is ArchiTerra capable of creating terrain models that do not bog down average computers? My computer's specifications are listed below.

Another thing that I'd like to do is a very, very basic model of Maui, the Island where we are located, so that I could do views from and to the houses that we design so that we and our clients can see what the views will be from their new houses. Do you think that this is possible using ArchiTerra?

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to do this with by creating a flat plain representing the outline of the ocean and placing the house at the proper elevation and orientation. Unfortunately, this will not give us a representation of the surrounding terrain and mountains.

If ArchiTerra would not be good for this application can you recommend a software package that would be good for doing this type of large scale terrain modeling?

Thank you,
John Cassel
EcoDesignGroup
Maui, Hawaii
808-579-8197
808-281-7858

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear John,

it's only a matter of number of points not about large scale terrain modeling. I mean if you can describe what you need with a reasonable nomber of points you can build any kind of terrain.

About limitation: ArchiTerra isn't a stand-alone software: it's just an add-on so you have to remember that, at the end, the final "engine" will be ArchiCAD itself.
So, probably using ArchiTerra you can also build very complex terrain (the largest I calculated had 20.000 points) but then it is an ArchiCAD job represent the model in the 3D window so...

friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabrizio,
I have downloaded the ArchiTerra and want to start experiementing with it tommorow. Just the road creation tool would seem to make it worth using.
Would a terrain model created with ArchiTerra be any less burdensome in ArchiCAD than a mesh created with the same amount of points?
Thank you,
John

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
No at all!
There is absolutely no difference between a Mesh created by ArchiCAD and a mesh created by ArchiTerra.
Starting from the same data, you will get the same result.
Fabrizio Diodati

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Just one difference: ArchiTerra provides you with some filtering options which could help you in simplifying the data needed to build the terrain.
Fabrizio Diodati

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabrizio,
We are looking forward to experimenting with ArchiTerra's filtering capabilities.
Thanks,
John

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
John,

BTW, we are always interested on good examples in order to show ArchiTerra capabilities so, if you want (and you can) privately send me the survey data you are going to elaborate I'd like to use them in order to create some terrain examples...

Thank you very much
friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just trying to get to grips with Architerra. A couple of questions:
1: Having created the mesh just from points (dxf file imported) I'm trying to adjust the mesh to correctly show retaining walls etc by drawing constraints from point to point (hotspots). When I recalculate the mesh the triangles still pass through the constraint line. I thought the constraint should stop this (or am I missing something?)
2: Can constraints be edited by adding nodes? It seems to give strange results when I try it.

If anyone knows of any Architerra tutorials that may help ( I already know about the Cigraph Website guidance)

Any ideas?

Wavydavy @ CSP Architects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Haven't tried what you are doing.. yet. But I am working on a residence and am very pleased with ArchiTerra's Road Tool. I have used it to do an entry drive and garage pad on a sloping site that has code restrictions on the maximum slope (20% in our case). ArchiTerra's road profiler was very useful in helping us establish the exact elevation of the house! Boring stuff for most people but rather tedious to map otherwise.

A feature I hope for in the future (if Fabrizo is reading this) is sidewalks! We have road tools, foundations, basins and plateaux.. sidewalks?? I am using the road tool to "layout" a 4' wide walk ), but I don't know how to make a curb and gutter, probably will be a short wall (6" high).. anyhow, I like ArchiTerra and I am looking forward to using ArchiForma a little later.

+pablo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using the latest architerra point tool i can place my points and then create the land but then when i ewant to see the point elevation display when i click on the open eye i get no display. also, for the third time now when i close the window i loose all the points i made. also when i try and add points they do not work.

it shouldn't be that when you select close eye again you loose all your points. it just should not be that way!!!!!

I trust there is away to see how hight the points are so you can edit?
3 hours wasted here. fruistrated and discusted.

mac g5, archicad 8.1.0 v2, architerra 2.01

donald mac donald

Vitruvius
Participant
Dear Fabrizio,

I'm using ArchiTerra 1.81 and am attempting to build a plateau using the following methodology:

1. Build the terrain
2. Put Fill Pattern on the terrain for the plateau.
3. Highlight both with "Suspend Groups" and then select the ArchiTerra "Build Plateau" command.

And nothing happens. In fact, the "Digging/Embankment" window doesn't even appear.

I am mystified - any suggestions?

Thank you, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try selecting the Fill and the 3D mesh (which was created when you entered in the contours). That is how I have used it in 2.01.

+pablo

Vitruvius
Participant
Pablo,

I do exactly what you've suggested. The odd thing is that it works in some projects and not others.

I have noted that the more complex the mesh the less likely the "build plateau" tool will work. I do have work arounds - I basically just chop through the mesh and drop in a slab. I don't do much terrain modelling so sticking with AT 1.8 has been OK - it would have just been a little easier if I could get the plateau tool to work.

Regards, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!