BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

!Restored: sketchup?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any body had any luck with sketch up brand cad imports? We have a pool designer that uses that program and the owner wants his pool in our model.
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
How to convert a Sketchup model to AC gdl object [gsm]?
stefan
Expert
gobel wrote:
export the SketchUp model as a 3DS file and import that into ArchiCAD. The geometry will be a GDL object. Not a 'smart' one, but a GDL mess/mesh.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I had tried the SU export to AC and its results were less than perfect.
I tried the Sketchup to ArchiCAD plug-in late last year and was similarly disappointed. In fact I found it simply unusable, escpecially when the SU model had even slight complexity or size to it.

Has it been improved lately? I look forward to the day the transition between the two programs is quick and easy (and usable!)

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
Don't hold your breath. Sticky planes don't transform easily into BIM.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
gobel wrote:
Make it a Component in Sketchup.

Open the SketchUp file in Archicad using the SketchUp import plugin.

Don't go the 3DS way.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
I had tried the SU export to AC and its results were less than perfect.
I tried the Sketchup to ArchiCAD plug-in late last year and was similarly disappointed. In fact I found it simply unusable, escpecially when the SU model had even slight complexity or size to it.

Has it been improved lately? I look forward to the day the transition between the two programs is quick and easy (and usable!)

Cheers,
Link.
It does leave a lot to be desired, but it is usable, as long as you don't overdo it in SketchUp. Single plane walls, more complex assemblies have to be defined as Components, use layers in Sketchup otherwise you will spend more time cleaning it up in Archicad than doing it from scratch.

Sketchup in general has problems on large models. I also had huge trouble exporting into Artlantis.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!