Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit 2012 Another horrible release

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man, it seems that Revit really doesn't want to compete with Archicad. I think many Revit users will switch now to AC.

http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2011/03/autodesk-revit-architecture-2012.html
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable
For every software you will find a group of people switching to other software. Heck, I even switch from Apple to PC. So it's not only Revit users switching to AC.

As for Revit copying AC features: I think that is a wise move to do. If Archicad is strong in certain areas, why try to invent the wheel. It makes perfect sense.

At the same token, AC seems to go it's own way which is good. However, you do risk losing out on key features, for the sake of not wanting to have anything to do with Autodesk. There is the danger.

At the end of the day, while this release is horrible for the die-hard revit users, Revit now has features similar to teamwork, BIM server and many other archicad goodies , in combination with their own flagship features.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Revit Server is not like the Graphisoft BIM Server. They use very different methods of sharing model data in a team.
GS has created a white paper that compares these solutions

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/marketing/white_papers/GRAPHISOFT_White_Paper_Design_Sharing_in_B...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
laszlonagy wrote:
Revit Server is not like the Graphisoft BIM Server. They use very different methods of sharing model data in a team.

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/marketing/white_papers/GRAPHISOFT_White_Paper_Design_Sharing_in_B...

And I really do hope that Graphisoft actually puts better effort into publicizing that information as well as all the ways in which the BIM Server and Teamwork 2.0 is superior to the Revit methodology beyond just putting out a white paper and burying it deep in the bowels of their website.

While Revit users are busy erroneously celebrating their apparent assumption that Revit has caught up with ArchiCAD in this area that they've always lagged it, new prospective customers are also likely to believe the hype and actually believe that Revit Worksharing and Server technology is actually superior when in reality it's not even close..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:

And I really do hope that Graphisoft actually puts better effort into publicizing that information as well as all the ways in which the BIM Server and Teamwork 2.0 is superior to the Revit methodology beyond just putting out a white paper and burying it deep in the bowels of their website.

While Revit users are busy erroneously celebrating their apparent assumption that Revit has caught up with ArchiCAD in this area that they've always lagged it, new prospective customers are also likely to believe the hype and actually believe that Revit Worksharing and Server technology is actually superior when in reality it's not even close..
I don't think Revit users are celebrating anything at this moment. They don't care if AC I better in this area as long as they can collaborate. That is what counts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:

I've also noticed a rather childish and condescending blog post by a reseller on the bimboom blog saying how sad he is for ArchiCAD users and that we should 'give up the fight' now that R*vit 2012 has been released!
AWWWW he responded in his blog... poor fellow... so upset at your comments.
Might have to send him a hanky
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very excited about the imminent release of RAC2012. Horrible release is a bit, well, exactly what I would expect from an ArchiCAD forum.

There are some great new tools, some I have been waiting for.

Why is it that there is so much abuse about how far behind Revit is, when it is about half the age of ArchiCAD?

I think that there is a real fear that the new kid on the block may actually have some real tricks up its sleeve.

As for talk about Autodesk and their marketing monster... I have heard outright lies from the mouths of Graphisoft Officials when peddling their wears (yes it does).

Revit server is not a BIM server ripoff, it is an extension on its worksharing capacity that has been available to subscription customers for many months now. Anyone who suggests that Revits worksharing doesn't work well, hasn't looked at how it works and formulated a system accordingly.

As with all Software products there are likes and dislikes, bugs and miracles.....

Revit is great. ArchiCAD is great. Neither is 'Better' at everything. Both are 'Better' at some things. The main problem facing the dream of BIM (anyone who claims that a life-cycle BIM actually exists is a liar) is communication. As the Architect blames the constructor, and the site team blame the Architect. Software wars ensue because it is easier than making open collaboration work. Misinformation making one side look better is favoured over actually learning how both sides work, thus perpetuating ignorance in a field where people claim to be both intelligent and creative.

As a constructor, we use both ArchiCAD and Revit, because we have to deal with "Ours is better than yours" on a daily basis. Luckily there are some consultants who have managed to rise above the pettiness. This is the point of difference that will ensure that they have a seat in the next round. Time to wake up and start spending the energy wisely instead of encouraging generational biases based on our own shortcomings.

Phew, I think it may be time for a snooze...

Peace.
Rlcosta wrote:
Peter wrote:

I've also noticed a rather childish and condescending blog post by a reseller on the bimboom blog saying how sad he is for ArchiCAD users and that we should 'give up the fight' now that R*vit 2012 has been released!
AWWWW he responded in his blog... poor fellow... so upset at your comments.
Might have to send him a hanky

Who runs that blog?
A five year old?

I mean, who talks like that to other grown-up human beings?

It's hilarious watching him trying to back-pedal on his comments somewhat.

His first comment which as on a blog apparently comparing ArchiCAD to Revit 2012's new features and basically taunting AC users "to give up", and then when I guess he was subsequently challenged on the ludicrosity of that comparison given that there are a ton of areas where Revit lags behind ArchiCAD as a BIM solution (not to mention the not-too-enthusiastic responses of the Revit users underwhelmd by Revit 2012's new features and offerings), he then backtracks and claims that his comparison was actually not of ArchiCAD to Revit (which would actually make more sense since they are both singular programs doing the same thing in different ways) but rather that his comparison was between ArchiCAD and Autodesk's entire Building Design Suite - as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

So I guess his point is that Revit is just simply not remotely capable of competing with ArchiCAD on a one-on-one basis, so much so that in order for the comparison to be fair, he has to pit ArchiCAD against Autodesk's entire Building Design Suite which includes other programs like 3DS Max and the like which are not strictly AEC products.

That must make ArchiCAD one hell of a program (which it is) if that is what it takes to make a fair comparison with Autodesk products.
(Although, don't tell him that, because I don't think he realizes yet that this is exactly what he was saying.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:

I am glad that the term 'marketing' is in the link posted.
Eduardo Rolon
BIMTIM wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:

I am glad that the term 'marketing' is in the link posted.
The point being?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
That it is a marketing document, and therefore not particularly objective 😉