Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit 2012 Another horrible release

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man, it seems that Revit really doesn't want to compete with Archicad. I think many Revit users will switch now to AC.

http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2011/03/autodesk-revit-architecture-2012.html
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable
BIMTIM wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I'm sure that if we all got together in a bar (or café perhaps to include our muslim brethren) we would have a rousing good time and the barbs and snark would be just good natured camaraderie.
I'll drink to that!

(no beer for me though, the yeast plays havoc with my gut flora! Top shelf suits best, Islay single malt anyone?)
Make mine a Laphroig, 10yr old, neat!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The main reason for me is - FUNDAMENTALIST JIHAD - against Autodesk .
So is this a admission by Autodesk that the approach used ADT is incorrect.
Autodesk is part of globalisation & uniformity they have bought Revit with $133 Million $ .
I like to have competition and until now Graphisoft succeeded to survive .
Rakela Raul
Participant
most of the times the chance of software has nothing to do with what u like best...( i envy the many here that select the soft of their choice, of course)

agencies you work for, companies u work for, cities u work for, etc, etc.
also dictate what tools you should use, and as humans we get used to different things quickly... !!

having competition is a good thing, and learning (the competition) other and new tools and software is an even better thing....(like speaking several language in a way)

looking forward to see all these bim software running out of 'new tools' , so they can have the time to fix their broken things... the quality control is not there

of course the autodesk sales people are already scheduling visits to their clients to show whats new in revit 12 ... a good thing ??

) )

MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have downloaded and installed RAC 2012 and am impressed.

Apart from the burnt bandwidth of 2 failures and the lack of serial numbers/content (Release is scheduled for later in the month). things are looking pretty good.

The addition of parts and assemblies allow the opportunity to physically split walls into its layers (composites anyone) and the ability to split/manipulate the individual pieces, then form assemblies. All pieces are scheduleable and have their own GUID.

Visual styles just got alot better too. Ambient occlusion is now usable in hiddenline (great for conceptual presentations) and is finally printable (so rendering is often not needed)...

The thing that blows my mind (most peeps will prolly never get to use this) is the Point cloud import. We are looking at using them to speed up renovations and modelling of the built environment as well as confirming accurate as-built information with overlays.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is always going to be something I like better in Revit than what is ArchiCAD....the same the other way around....

I have known (or played) with Revit since Autodesk bought them out....but I was using ArchiCAD a couple of years prior to that.

The next version of ArchiCAD basically has phases, which is something Revit has had as long as I can remember....but this new "Point Cloud" uhhh....Architerra? Been using it for the past 4 or 5 years... I'll have to grab some point cloud files I got that I used in ArchiCAD (Architerra) and see what the differences are..

As for the comments on 3D tagging....big improvement. While you can always label something in a sheet view, tagging get the information from the object itself. So if something get renamed or more info added it automatically updates....manually tagging means manually editing! But the tagging of a linked file is what I really like. Since we coordinate models with other disciplines, the ability to tag their objects has been an issue in the shared model concept.

So....are people that are using Revit going to flock over to ArchiCAD? ....I doubt it. I can see firms using both products if they are working with other consultants that are using ArchiCAD as well. I see lots of questions at AUGI about linking in ArchiCAD models into Revit....unfortunately I only see ArchiCAD making that move to allow linking Revit into ArchiCAD (IFC?...haven't tried it yet)...

Revit vs ArchiCAD....the ultimate Tug-O-War

(btw, my Revit Reseller hates me whenever they introduce a new Revit feature....and I say ArchiCAD has had it for a long time )